Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Opposite of Cold


The last thing I saw was her eyes, filled with such a bitter disappointment that I felt my heart break.
Whether that was because of her spell or a consequence of my mistakes, I didn't know.
All I knew now, staring down from my lunar prison, was that I'd never be warm again.
Each day spent on this rock was the same. There was nothing to do, nothing to eat or drink.
Not that I needed to eat or drink anymore.
The world I had been cast out from seemed so full of life, each patch of color on it blinding compared to the lifeless gray stone of my prison.
How long would I be forced to stay here?
A year?
Ten?
Would I even be able to recognize the passage of time?
I wasn't even sure how long I'd been here.
My memories were growing hazier each day.
Were they days? Without a need for sleep, I couldn't seem to keep track of time.
Part of me began wondering if I had ever been anywhere else, or if the bright fragments of memory were merely a fanciful farce my mind had created.
Each time I would doubt my past, I would look out at the colorful sphere my prison orbited, and I would remember her eyes.
Those vibrant, heart-wrenching green eyes.
What had I done to destroy the joy in those eyes?
When staring at the colorful world became too painful, I would trek to the other side of my prison, and stare out into the darkness.
It was so easy to lose myself in that darkness. It didn't drag mostly forgotten memories out of the depths of my mind like the blue and green planet did.
No, the darkness seemed to help the memories sink into an ever deepening abyss.
Every memory except for my last glimpse of her eyes.
I couldn't remember her name, or anything else about her but those eyes.
I couldn't even remember my name, or what color my eyes were.
Would I ever remember?
Did I even care anymore?
What point was there in keeping hold of such a slippery, useless thing as a past, when I would never be anything but a prisoner here?
I couldn't even remember what being the opposite of cold was anymore.
And I probably never would.

No comments:

Post a Comment