Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Nothing Heroic


My job was to mend the nets. Nothing heroic about that.
Nope, I wasn't the heroic type.
Now the people who used the nets I mended? They were the heroes.
At least, if you considered people who went out every day to catch dark fairies in magic-neutralizing nets to be heroes.
Everybody in town sure did, even I thought they were crazy trouble seekers.
After all, there wouldn't be so many dark (and light) fairies around the town if the netted fairies were kept out of the town.
For nothing seemed to attract fairies more than their own kind being trapped.
But what we did with netted fairies wasn't my job. Nope, as one of those with the ability to imbue threads with anti-magic properties, all I was supposed to think about was how to make better, stronger nets. Or how to make clothes that protected the wearer from magical harm. Or there was my favorite task of trying to get my anti-magicness to stick to the sheep before they've been sheared, since surely my mumbo-jumbo should be able to effect the coats of living creatures, and not just threads I prepare myself?
I bet those hero-types don't have to explain the limitations of their abilities to the town council every other day.
Nope, they just go out, net a couple dozen fairies, and come back to the cheers of happy townsfolk.
Hooray for them.
Still, I did my part to help keep the town safe. For without the nets that I and the other anti-magic crafters made, those hero-types would have nothing to catch the fairies with.
So perhaps there was something heroic about my job after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment