Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Runaway Present


Wrapping a present is harder than it looks. This is made even more true when said present suddenly decides to run away.
Legs pumping, tail waving like a flag in the wind, the puppy tore down the hall with a partially tied ribbon around its neck.
I chased after it, grateful the kids weren't home yet. Otherwise their surprise would've been ruined.
Still, who knew a puppy could run so fast?
The puppy glanced back at me, a look of both fright and delight in its lopsided doggy grin.
In that brief look back though, the puppy failed to notice the closed door.
The thump wasn't that loud, but apparently colliding with a door was enough adventure for the little pup. It sat with a small whine, staring at the closed door with a look of betrayal.
I slowed, approaching the puppy with what I hoped were non-threatening movements.
"Here, girl," I cooed, and the puppy's ears perked at that tone. "Let me just fix your bow, and we'll go wait for the kids in the front room."
The puppy's tail wagged hesitantly, and she didn't run when I reached for the half done bow.
"Good girl," I cooed again after the bow was properly tied, and I carefully picked up the puppy.
She squirmed a little in my grip, but soon settled as we made our way out of the hall.
With the amount of energy she had, I was sure the kids would love her.
Even when it meant chasing her down the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment