Friday, May 19, 2017
1. It can be a gathering place for your family.
2. You can play games on it.
3. It can hold stacks of books.
4. Food can be kept out of the dog's reach with it.
5. You can use it while folding clothes.
6. Depending on the table, it can be used as a makeshift stretcher.
7. Child can use it as a fort.
8. It can serve as a barrier when someone is trying to put frosting on your face.
9. You can use it while organizing your coin collection.
10. It makes using a sewing machine easier than if you were sitting on the floor.
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
When there is nothing, it doesn't matter how you begin.
For how can the first word be wrong at that point i time?
That one word will lead to another, and another after that.
And soon the page will be filled with words, where once blankness reigned.
Within that jumble of words, how does one find the right phrase?
Where do you begin, when awash in a sea of sentences?
It often comes down to a slow crawl through the muck, in order to find the gems hidden beneath.
And after you've found the right words, it comes time to polish them to a shine.
For though they are right, these words are not yet ready to carry the weight of the stories they'll tell.
Polishing can at times be painful, as it reveals the words that aren't quite right.
Those words are discarded, and those that remain become stronger for it.
In the end, others will wonder how your words came to be.
For in the beginning there was nothing.
But now you've made a wonderful something.
Friday, May 12, 2017
1. So you'll always have a friend close by.
2. Because talking to yourself can get pretty lonely. Besides, you'll get a better response from your pet than from a mirror.
3. Who else will you blame for having eaten the last of the bacon?
4. Pets are great at comforting you when nothing else seems to help.
5. They are fun to watch. For just like children, pets can react so humorously to the simplest of situations.
6. Because you need someone to get you moving in the morning, and a pet insisting on being fed can really get you out of bed.
7. So you'll have someone to go on walks with.
8. Because they can give you fun stories to tell your friends.
9. A pet can help teach children about responsibility.
10. Because they make you happy. What better reason is there?
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
With a pet in your life, you haven't a care.
For each day is exciting, filled with the love that you share.
But one day it all vanishes, the fun times all die.
On that horrible day when you must say goodbye.
How do you cope, with a heart laden with grief?
Is there any way at all to find some relief?
Your eyes have been puffy, swollen, and red.
Throughout that day you have dread.
Your pet has been so frail, only bones beneath skin.
You wonder if your heart will ever be whole again.
Through all the anguish, you stay by her side.
For no pet of yours should have to go hide.
In those final moments, your heart simply breaks.
And you're shocked by how much it aches.
Can it ever be mended? Will this scar ever fade?
Can you even bare to look back at all the memories you've made?
For the moments of love surely outweigh the grief.
Maybe, one day, they'll bring some relief.
But for now your heart weighs heavy and sad.
As you mourn the best pet that you've ever had.
Friday, May 5, 2017
1. Because you were able to spend time with those you love.
2. Someone complimented you.
3. You thought of a witty joke that made people laugh.
4. You didn't stub your toe.
5. The weather was nice.
6. You made a new friend.
7. Because the dog cared about you enough to get off his bed.
8. You ate tasty food.
9. You were able to finish a project.
10. Just because you can.
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
There are three constants in the Missy Lee Park. First is that Mrs. Flora will always be sitting on the only park bench at exactly two o'clock, ready to feed the pigeons. Second is that all baseballs will eventually be stolen by the White Sox hound, who is quite friendly unless you try to reclaim your baseball from his collection by the pond.
The third thing that never changed was the duck.
Rain or shine, middle of summer or dead of winter, the duck would always be swimming at the center of the pond.
Nothing could entice the duck from its spot. Not breadcrumbs, dogs, fireworks, or even the rest of the pond freezing. The duck never flew away, and was never seen anywhere else.
And just like people learned not to bring baseballs to the park, they eventually stopped wondering about the duck swimming at the pond's center.
Until one day, one of the townsfolk were visited by their cousins from the city.
As it was one of the few places for fun in the town, the entire family gathered at the park. One child decided to show his cousin how to use a slingshot, as he didn't think they had such things in the city.
The city kid's aim was horrible.
So horrible, in fact, that she hit the duck.
And for once, the duck moved.
The stunned duck drifted a little to the left, the the ground shook.
People shouted and darted away from the pond as a sickly greenish light shot up from beneath the surface.
The duck stirred, but far too late.
The water churned a frothy white that hid the duck from view, and then a head almost too large to fit in the pond broke free from its watery prison.
The duck made a satisfying breakout snack.
As people fled the park, the monstrous creature pulled itself free from the pond, teeth chattering in anticipation as the lizard breathed in the dry scent of freedom.
Friday, April 28, 2017
1. Have a snack. Eating something is a great way to get that kast bit of fuel you need to finish a late night project.
2. Get some sleep. You might not turn into a pumpkin, but if you don't get enough sleep you'll probably be a sour apple in the morning.
3. Read. Books don't have bedtimes, and have a way of making you forget yours.
4. Write. Because when you've gotten into a groove, why let some time on the clock stop the words fron flowing?
5. Play with your cat. Unlike a dog, cats are often up at night. So if you want to play catch the mouse, you might need to stay up with your feline.
6. Talk with a friend. The time of day doesn't matter when a friend needs help or a attentive ear.
7. Do a jig. Because in the night, no one is awake enough to laugh at your silly dance moves. So turn in some music, and let your feet fly.
8. Think. Everything is quiet, and now you can relax from the worries of the day. Think about whatever you'd like. Just let your mind unwind and the thoughts freely drift.
9. Fold clothes. Because sometimes, midnight is the only time you'll have to fold them.
10. Make a plan. Because what better time is there to plan than at midnight?