Friday, April 28, 2017
1. Have a snack. Eating something is a great way to get that kast bit of fuel you need to finish a late night project.
2. Get some sleep. You might not turn into a pumpkin, but if you don't get enough sleep you'll probably be a sour apple in the morning.
3. Read. Books don't have bedtimes, and have a way of making you forget yours.
4. Write. Because when you've gotten into a groove, why let some time on the clock stop the words fron flowing?
5. Play with your cat. Unlike a dog, cats are often up at night. So if you want to play catch the mouse, you might need to stay up with your feline.
6. Talk with a friend. The time of day doesn't matter when a friend needs help or a attentive ear.
7. Do a jig. Because in the night, no one is awake enough to laugh at your silly dance moves. So turn in some music, and let your feet fly.
8. Think. Everything is quiet, and now you can relax from the worries of the day. Think about whatever you'd like. Just let your mind unwind and the thoughts freely drift.
9. Fold clothes. Because sometimes, midnight is the only time you'll have to fold them.
10. Make a plan. Because what better time is there to plan than at midnight?
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Sleep comes as a thief, to steal you away into a world of dreams.
Sleep lingers at the edge of consciousness, tauntingly out of reach.
Sleep enfolds you in a gentle caress, like that of a mother soothing her restless babe.
Sleep claims the weary, the downtrodden, and the heartbroken just as it claims the exited, joyous, and beloved.
Sleep invites you to linger a little longer, when the new day arrives.
Sleep beckons when boredom is your companion.
Sleep is a constant friend, a bitter foe, and sometimes a lost love.
Each waking moment brings one ever closer again to sleep.
Friday, April 21, 2017
1. Wake-up call. Being able to control exactly when you wake up would be a useful power, especially when you need to wake from a nap at a certain time.2. Temperature control. Would it be nice if hot food stayed hot and ice cream never melted? Well with this power, that's exactly what you could control!
3. Sock seeker. Never be left without mated socks with this power. Simply hold a single sock, and then you'll know exactly where its mate is.
4. Allergy avoidance. Imagine a power that would help you avoid whatever you were allergic to. That would be great for both springtime and the party's buffet table.
5. Golden silence. With this power, any annoying sounds are muffled, with a golden glow only visible to you appearing around the silenced sound's source so you will know when it stops.
6. Back scratch. This power lets you scratch any part of your back without needing your hands.
7. Stylish hair. A power that lets you control exactly how your hair will look can be useful, especially if your hair is usually unmanageable.
8. Simply social. A power that simplifies those difficult to muddle through social situations would be very helpful for any who have a hard time socializing.
9. Just dessert. A power that gives you a dessert whenever you want one. You might not ever het the same type of cake twice, but tyis power is a dessert lover's dream.
10. Listening laces. A power that makes your shoelaces follow your mental commands. Now you'll never have to bend over to tie your shoe ever again!
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Droplets fell to the scorched earth; signalling the end of a once mighty waterfall.
The shadow that darkened the blistered ground would have sent the forest's creatures running, had there been any left at the once-beloved pool. As it was, the shadow grew as its caster descended to land.
Fierce claws dug into the baked earth as the creature reached the ground. Leathery wings riddled with holes were tucked against a back covered in pebbly gray skin.
The creature stretched, arching its back in a movement far too graceful for anything so large. A long tail slipped lazily back and forth as the creature gave a great yawn that revealed a mouth full of sharp teeth.
The creature sat and twisted its torso about to study its wings. A one wing unfolded, a small patch of creamy fur was revealed. The creature stared at the patch if fur for a long moment, amber eyes unblinking as it considered the oddity.
Strange flashes of memory filled the creature's mind: trees being so much larger, the wind teasingly ruffling its fur, the sweet contentment of a comfortable lap.
Releasing a sneeze that sent an uncomfortable burst of flame from its mouth, the creature turned back to the small patch of fur as the ground sizzled.
Rough, angry licks at the patch of fur made it begin to smoke. The smoke grew darker as the creamy fur blackened beneath the unrelenting force of the creature's tongue.
When at last all trace of fur was gone, the creature settled itself on the ground, curled inward with the tip of its long tail resting gently on its nose.
As its eyes closed and it surrendered itself to sleep, the creature began to purr.
Friday, April 14, 2017
1. A handmade craft. Be it a blanket, bookmark, bag, or butter bowl, taking the time to make something for someone else is quite thoughtful.
2. A letter. Writing a personal message to someone takes careful thought about that person.
3. Cookies. Cookies make people happy, especially when they're your favorite kind.
4. A photo album. Pictures capture moments, and moments remembered are moments treasured.
5. A collectible. Giving someone an item for their collection shows that you care enough to know what they like collecting. A collectible could be keys, bottle caps, or even left socks. Their value lies in the collector's heart.
6. A drink of water. When you are thirsty, having someone offer you a glass of water is a wonderful thing indeed.
7. Your service. Sometimes the best gift is delivered through sweat, elbow grease, and a smile.
8. A kind word. Kind words can improve another's day, so don't be afraid to speak.
9. Food. Making dinner for someone else is a wonderful gift to give.
10. Your time. Sometimes the only gift you need give is to simply spend time with someone else, focusing on them instead of on yourself.
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Stretched out upon a bed that once belonged to the dog, the kitten was content.
Gone were the days where he'd had to struggle outside, hoping his mother would return before he and his siblings starved. Gone were the terrible nights when a howl might mean that a pack of hounds had found them.
Gone was the rain that left his fur drenched, and the harsh sun-baked earth that burnt his paws.
No, now his life was luxurious.
Comfortable beds, fresh water, and all the food he could ever desire. A warm lap just for him, and toys to pounce on.
Yes, the life of a house cat promised to be a good one.
And so the kitten stretched out once more upon the dog's bed, and purred his contentment.
Friday, April 7, 2017
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
The scent of smoke as the battle ends,
Spells disaster for my armored friends.
For there swoops down an angry beast,
Cloaked in shiny scales, with eager fangs waiting to feast.
Against its fiery breath they stand,
Foolishly brave knights to the very end.
A sharper scent now taints the smoke,
A bitter warning of what creature the battle woke.