Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nightingale High: Nigh, part III


The lock clicked into place, and I removed my key.
You know, locking your door really is just a formality here. If you think of all the thieves and critters slinking down the halls, it makes the idea of locks... well, useless.” A cheerful tenor voice rambled from above my door.
I shrugged and slipped the chain that held the key back around my neck, tugging the long silver-blue sleeve of my uniform. Another condition of my father funding this school was that, for the first semester, I went to a class of his choosing.
So what wonderful subject do I get to study?
Inter-species Relations.
Without looking up at the elemental above my door, I spoke as I began down the outer ring.
So what class are you taking, Kyler?”
Well, I was going to take Encounters with Creatures, but apparently the teacher they had for it had to call in some sick days, so I'm in Woodsmanship.”
Through his voice I saw another air elemental with pale blue eyes and light blond hair. Then I saw some brief flashes of Kyler's memory.
A horrible dragon-bird tearing flesh.
Isabel Grace and the blue-eyed air elemental.
I blinked, pulling myself out of his memories. I looked at my new friend, noticing the scar that ran from the right edge of his jawbone diagonally down his neck before disappearing under his shirt on the left side of his collarbone.
The first memory with the dragon-bird was when he received the scar.
At least that's what I would guess from the terror of that memory.
So what do you think of the mythological beings running around? Not that they're really myths or anything, it's just easier then naming all of them.” Kyler glided through the air for a few moments, before his feet finally touched the ground.
I shrugged again, not really caring about our fellow students. “From the few I've met, Headmistress Kiffer wasn't kidding about this being a place for the socially challenged.” We passed by a door with a carving of a full moon being drowned by the sea before turning down the hallway that led to the inner ring.
Socially challenged is putting it lightly. We've got thieves, werefolk, wyverns, and even a few humans!” The air elemental exclaimed as he matched his stride to mine. I shook my head and ran a finger across one of the carvings on the wall, allowing myself this one indulgence. Then I let my arm fall back to my side.
Kyler hadn't mentioned my being a siren, and I still wasn't sure if he even knew what I was.
I wasn't sure if I wanted him to know what I was.
So,” Kyler began, clasping his hands behind his head. “what would you like to do with our last day of freedom? We could hike through the wood, or get to know our fellow students in the dining hall.” His eyes met mine, while his voice created countless images that I tried to ignore.
Let's go to the cove.” I told his storm-gray eyes. The air elemental smiled. Then with a flourish bow, he offered me a hand. “If I may?” His voice was full of mischief which made my Song flutter in my throat. I breathed in, dragging my Song down into the depths of my heart and chaining it down.
You have tasted freedom already, now let Silence rein.
My Song cried out in protest, but the Silence held strong, devouring the cries before they could surface.
I took the offered hand, and we flew down the stairs.
Kyler grinned as I let out a gasp of surprise. “Air elemental, remember? We don't have to climb up and down stairs.”
The air continued to carry us after we reached the ground floor, not releasing its hold until we were at the front door. Free from the air currents, I looked at Kyler and shook my head. “You just can't help showing off, can you?”
The elemental lifted his hands and tilted his head with a inquiring look. “If you have a skill, why let it rot?” He opened the door, nodded outside. “So, shall we make use of my skill? Or shall we ruin our shoes?”

No comments:

Post a Comment