Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Djinn and The Vartija: Ignorance

Muritage

"Oh," the girl's ignorance showed further with each passing moment.
How she had survived so long was becoming a miraculous feat. How could a Vartija without even the most basic of training have survived with such a powerful aura?
Now due to my betise, I would have to protect her until I was free.
"Well, at least one of us knows what is going on." The girl said. Then the shrill whistle from the hunt pierced the silence. She pulled a small device from which the noise originated out of her pocket. She pressed her finger to its surface then held the device to her ear.
"Hey mom, sorry about missing your call earlier… Yes, I'm on my way home, I'll see you soon. Bye."
The girl put the device away, then looked at me.
"Stay here."
Her command washed over me, but had no persuasiveness compelling that I yield to her will.
"Why should I stay in this deficient shanty?"
The girl shook her head. "Because I can't come up with a reasonable explanation for why I've brought home a Djinn."
She grabbed her bag and began down the wood ladder. "Just make the tree-house work for now."
I listened as she walked away, feeling the bond stretch to connect us despite the distance forming. The bond constricted against me as the distance between us lengthened. I waited until the girl's movement ceased, then took account of my senses.
It will be nearly impossible to sustain a distance from her for long. The further apart she moves, the more lethargic I become.
I shook my head and focused on my confinement. It appeared that this would be my abode for the present. But that did not mean I would have to consent to dwelling in a single layer.
Like the other higher species, the Djinn are capable of traversing and manipulating the dimensional layers of Earth. Lesser beings were confined to a single layer; only traversing between layers in places where they overlap.
Partially immersing myself in the potential of the layers, I shifted their position within the tree-house.
After curving the layers to my desire, I stood upright and surveyed the new interior. Plush red carpets covered a wide stone floor. Golden spiral columns towered throughout the room, rising to melt into the gold ceiling high above. Flickering lamps hung on the walls, spreading light tinted with a rose glow.
I walked over to a low couch and sat down. The Ifrit decor brought a longing for home, and for those few I had considered friend. It also spurred the desire to end my exile, to return home. To do that, I needed the girl.
My first attempt may have failed, but I will succeed in killing the Vartija.Her ignorance will work in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment