Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Pizza delivery, part XIII


I woke with a painful ache in my head. A groan escaped as I opened my eyes. The sky was dark, but a nearby light made it difficult to see stars.
Rubbing my eyes, I moved to sit up. The world spun, and I faltered.
"Careful, laddy." Callan's voice came from what I thought was my left. I took a breath, and managed to get upright.
I lifted a hand to my head, and felt cloth. "What happened?"
Callan chuckled. "From what I heard, your wraith killed the dragon. Then after you managed to get the creature back in your bag, you collapsed and hit your head."
I turned my head, wincing as it ached. Hearing what happened, the memories were becoming clearer. "The dragon bit you."
Callan smiled, lightly touching the bandages around his torso. "Goes to show how one mistake almost makes even a seasoned warrior into lunch." He shook his head, jaw tightening briefly. "If it wasn't for you, I'd be dead."
I frowned, and almost shook my head. "All I did was release a wraith. Smoky could have turned on us."
"But he didn't."
A reedy laugh filled my mind, and a shock nipped my fingertips. "Not this time, but he will." I tried to ignore the wraith's laughter, but it was hard. How do you ignore another's voice in your head?
Callan nodded, then looked toward the light. "Brend, Alex is awake!"
I heard movement, and then the wizard appeared. "Mister Alex, how are you feeling?"
"My head hurts, and the world spins when I move." I said, and Brend nodded.
"With your permission, I'll check that there is nothing more serious."
"Sure."
He lifted his staff, and I couldn't help but smile at his nonsense words. Perhaps it was because I hit my head, but this world was growing on me. Sure, all the creatures I've met have tried to kill me or my friends.
Friends? Yeah, I guess they have become my friends.
Brend spoke one last word, and his staff spewed a blue-green light.
And my headache faded.
"Neat trick." I said, and Brend shrugged.
"You'll be alright." Then he turned to Callan. "Have you asked him yet?"
Callan shook his head. "Not yet."
"What?" I asked, and they both turn to me.
"Because your wraith killed the dragon, you have first claim on any spoils." Callan said, his smile growing as he motioned into the dark. "Which in this case, is the fallen dragon."
I frowned. "What would I want with a dragon carcass?" Were dragons even edible?
"Dragons are magical creatures, and that magic remains even after death." Brend said, sitting down next to Callan. "A dragon bone staff is a powerful conduit for magic, for example."
"We can't do anything until you decide." Callan held my gaze. "So what do you want?"
Rubbing my neck, I looked away. What would I be able to use from a dragon? I wasn't a wizard, so I didn't need a magic staff.
"What would you suggest?" I asked, turning back to my friends.
"Armor. Dragon scales are extremely light and flexible, but can easily withstand attacks." Callan said, one hand lingering over the bandages around his torso.
"Yes." A reedy voice whispered in my mind, and I stiffened. Turning, I stared at the delivery bag lying nearby. Had I really just heard Smoky speak?
"That sounds fine." I said, turning away from the bag.
Armor probably wouldn't protect me from the wraith, but perhaps it could keep me from needing to let Smoky out again.
Besides, it could make a neat costume when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment