Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Dragon, Pup?



Once, I was great.
Powerful.
The terror of both earth and sky.
But now?
Now, I am nothing but a useless, flea-bitten mutt.
No flea would dare have even landed on my spectacular silver scales. But now my scales had been replaced with horrid yellow fur. Do you know how difficult it is to get rid of mud when you can't simply incinerate it off of your scales?
Fur is disgusting.
And my once deadly talons are now mere stubs pretending to be claws. And my teeth! Oh, my poor teeth are so tiny, and trapped in a weak jaw that can't pierce through a knight's armor as if it were a moist cake.
I'd been cursed. Thrust into a tiny form and tossed out into the chaos of a human village. How could my brother have betrayed me so?
How could any dragon have condemned another to life as a dog?
If I ever managed to find a way, I would destroy my brother for this betrayal.
He might have stolen my fire, my scales, and all that made me draconian, but a dragon's fury would still burn within this undignified scrap of fur.
So swears Fier-
"Hey, little fellow." A human called, shocking me out of my vengeful thoughts.
How dare a mere human address me with such informality?
I realized my error a moment too late as the human's hand tightened around the scruff of fur at the nape of my neck.
I squirmed in his hold, wishing for my scales. My wondrous scales that would have sliced his fingers with their sharp edges.
But no, I now had fur. A more useless covering could only be a human's fragile skin.
The human brought me up to his face, and I gave a groan at the sight of his helm.
Out of all the human's that could have captured my ridiculously tiny frame, it had to be a knight.
Oh, shame of shames.
I should have been great, should have been able to roast this foolish human in his tin suit with a mere breath of flame.
But instead, I now could be held in his hand.
All because of my traitorous brother and his magic.
"You're kind of cute, little fellow." The knight said, and I let out the growl that had replaced my furious roar.
Cute? I was not cute! I was the terror of the earth and sky, the destroyer of l the bravely foolish, and the consumer of goats!
Well, perhaps I could still gnaw on a goat. If it was very young, and the runtiest of runts.
Oh, how loathsome it was to be forced to abandon your favorite food.
"Feisty, too." The knight had the audacity to laugh at me.
He would have to go.
Alas, my tiny teeth could not rip the flesh of his thumb.
"That tickles, little fellow." The knight engulfed my head with this hand as he rub it.
The sensation was not one I would ever admit to enjoying.
Suddenly, I was held by my scruff again, legs swinging through the air for a moment before I was plopped into the spacious pouch hanging at the knight's side.
"You'll be safe enough in there for now, little fellow. Wouldn't want anyone to step in you." The knight said, and I gave a yap of defiance.
I would not be the prisoner- no, even worse, the pet- of a knight.
"Now, now. You need to be quiet, little fellow. If the boss finds out I've got you, then he won't wait for the dragon to roast my hide."
I would not-
Wait.
Did he say dragon?
Could this knight be part of a company headed for a brother?
Oh, if that were the case, then I had to swallow the indignity of my situation, and stay with the knight.
And so a curled up docilely in the knight's pouch, and listened to his cheerful whistle as the pouch swayed with his every step.
I would have my vengeance, even if it meant a temporary truce with a knight.
But once my brother was dealt his dues, and I was restored to my wondrous form, then the knight would pay for calling my cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment