Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Barrier Bubble


 

There were ducks on the pond. Just paddling about, quacking happily as they went about their business.

I, on the other hand, was neither happy nor getting any work done. For you see, I'd come to the park to meet with a potential client, because the park provided a lovely backgound for my photos. Only, my client never arrived.

After awaiting around far longer than I should have, given that the client wasn't answering my messages, I'd gotten up from the bench by the pond with the intent to leave.

But before I could, the heroes arrived.

It can be frustrating to live in a town with its own hero team, because no one ever realizes just how time consuming both the battles and the aftermath is for the civilians. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the heroes were more experienced, or if they didn't keep atteacting the bad guys woth really weird powers that affected their surroundings just as much as they affected the heroes.

But hey, I could handle all that. No, what really made me hate the local heroes was their mentor: Guardian Wall. For you see, Guardian Wall's power was that he could make all kinds of magical barriers. Now, I love a protective barrier that keeps me safe from the contagious drippings of Zomkey the Undead Monkey, because there are only so many times you can handle waking up after getting the antidote only to have the taste of rotten bananas stuck to your tongue for a week.

So the protective barriers Guardian Wall makes wouldn't be too bad, if he could just remember to take them down afterwards.

But the old guy never remembers, especially if he's been chasing the heroes and baddies all over town and crafting barrier bubbles everywhere he goes. His barriers bubbles are great. Keeps everything out out and everything in in, while still allowing a clean exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. So you're safe in the barrier bubble, but stuck until either the old guy remembers to come back and pop the bubble, or for the necessary eight to seventeen hours to pass for it to pop on its own.

So until one of those happens, I'm stuck on a bench by the duck pond, trapped in a barrier bubble. At least I have somewhere to sit this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment