Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The internal battle of a young shapeshifter

In my mind, my shapeshifting ability appeared as a fog. Within it, the eagle form was dominated by its instincts. It wasn't like my horse form. Waiting for enough time to pass wouldn't allow for me to shapeshift again. I realized that now. In order to change back, I had to fight.
The eagle dived, talons stretching forward. I braced myself as it struck me. Wrapping my arms around the eagle, I fought to hold onto it. The bird released a screech as it struck me with its beak, while its talons tore into my torso. Gritting my teeth against the pain, I squeezed the eagle.
I had to make it a part of me.
The eagle gave another furious shriek as it began to merge with me. I held on, though the agony brought me to my knees.
Finally, my arms were empty. Opening my clenched hands, a feather fell from one. As I reached to pick it up, a hoof appeared beside it.
Looking up, I saw met the gaze of my horse form. It watched me for a moment, then lowered its head to sniff the feather. Then the horse sneezed and lifted its head quickly. After shaking its head, the horse looked back at the feather with a huff.
“I didn't ask for it.” I said shakily. I could still feel the eagle form's instincts, though they were now caged. Picking up the feather, I reached out my other hand to grab the mane of my horse form. Getting to my feet, I couldn't help but laugh. “Master would be furious.” I told the horse. “What I'm doing right now is dangerous. A shapeshifter isn't suppose to allow all of their forms to manifest in their mind at one time.” Patting the horse's neck, I tied the feather into its mane. “I have no idea what'll happen the next time I shapeshift. This trip could have altered you.” The horse shook its head with another huff, its tail lashing. Letting go, I sighed as the pain from fighting the eagle form's instincts returned.
Taking a deep breath, I drew my senses outward. But before my shapeshifting ability faded from sight, I saw an eagle land on the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment