Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Stealing from a unicorn

You do not want to steal from a unicorn.
Sure, a unicorn seems peaceful enough at first. It may even let you get close enough to touch it. But should you take the object it guards: run.
That's what I'm doing.
Panting as I veered to the right behind a large pile of rocks, I resisted the urge to look behind me as the sound of hooves thundered past where I had just been. I kept a firm hold on my bag, wishing I had time to tie the broken straps together.
"All this for a ruby apple!" I gasped angrily, recalling the fae who had sent me here. If I hadn't gone and gotten myself indebted to him, there wouldn't be a crazy unicorn trying to impale me.
My gaze darted around, searching for somewhere to hide. But the desolate plain offered nothing  but scrawny brush and rocks.
"Find the lake of Lyfe-" I panted as I heard a bellow from the unicorn. "-steal the apple." Diving to the left, I heard a rip. Hitting the ground, I rolled and scrambled to my feet. Letting out a hiss as my right leg protested, I forced myself to continue.
If I stopped, I was dead.
I couldn't let a gash stop me.
Each direction looked the same. I had no idea whether I was running in circles. My pace was slower now, and continuing to decrease.
There was a flicker of movement ahead. Then I saw it again, and heard a series of whoops. Gathering a breath, I let out a pained squeal. Gasping for breath, I almost missed the rapid whoops that followed. A beast flickered into existence ahead of me.
The beast was canine; with yellowish-gray fur and a tawny mane that ran down its spine. The glimpse I caught of its eyes revealed that they were every color imaginable.
Running straight toward the beast, I hoped my idea worked.
I reached into my bag. Taking hold of the apple, I flung my bag behind me. The unicorn let out a shrill whinny. I flung myself out of the way. The unicorn barreled past, into the beast. Releasing a growl, the beast attacked the unicorn.
As the two creatures fought, I fled.
"This is the last time I come to the Crocotta Wilds." I panted once far enough away from the battle. My bag was gone, along with most of my supplies. Sitting on a rock, I looked at the ruby apple. From deep within the stone, a gentle light pulsed. Recalling one of the myths about the lake of Lyfe, I pressed the jewel against my gash. Biting back a cry as an icy shock filled my leg, I fought back the temptation to drop the apple.
Then, as quickly as it had appeared, the icy shock vanished.
Slowly lifting my hand, I looked at my leg.
The gash was gone.
"Huh. No wonder that waterlogged fae wants this." I said, studying the ruby apple. The internal light had gotten brighter. Removing my scarf, I tied the apple inside it, then retied the scarf to my arm. It wouldn't do to lose the treasure before I got back to Zeltsrio.
Looking around at the unchanging plain, I wondered if I would get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment