Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The embodiment of Hope

Sorrow.
Anguish.
Despair.

With siblings like these, you'd think that I would be a sadness as well.
But that is kind of difficult when you are the embodiment of Hope.
You see, each member of my family is an embodiment of negative emotion. My father is Grief, while my mother is Pain. The cycle has been going for generations, and no one knows how it started. Whenever one of us gets close to a normal person, they begin to feel whatever emotion we embody.
"Hope!" I jumped a little as my mother's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. Glancing around, I realized that the car was parked. "We're here." Mother said as she leaned against the open car door.
"Sorry," I mumbled as I climbed out. Glancing toward the restaurant, I saw my brothers hanging near a group of teenagers. As mother and I walked toward my brothers, the teenage girls seemed to wilt before my eyes. Frowning, I quickened my pace. Once I was close to the group of teenagers, I slowed. Picking out the girl who seemed most troubled, I offered her a shy smile.
"Excuse me," I began to catch her attention, "I couldn't help but notice your bracelet. Did you make it?"
The girl looked at the brightly colored braided bracelet that she worn, and her lips twitched. "No, a friend of mine did." She said slowly. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my brothers follow mother into the restaurant.
"That's really neat." I said, offering her a warm smile. "Those are a fun selection of colors. Do you know how your friend made it?"
Another of the girls returned my smile. "There are some instructions online. But you can make a simpler one using just a three strand braid technique."
I nodded my head. "I'll have to try it. Thanks."
With a wave farewell to the happier teenagers, I headed inside after my family.
After finding the table they were at, I sat down.
"Interfering again?" Sorrow asked dully, his perpetual frown deepening as he glanced at me.
"Cleaning up." I replied softly.
"If you actually fitted in, this wouldn't be a problem." Anguish whined as he rubbed his arm.
Despair slowly shook his head. "She can't." Studying me, he winced. "She's hopeless."
I held back a sigh and shook my head. As my twin, one would think that Despair would be on my side. But no, he was the one who belittled me the most.
"Leave your sister alone." Mother said firmly as her eyes scanned the menu. "She cannot be blamed for her condition."
Swallowing the lump in my throat, I excused myself. In the bathroom, I rubbed my eyes. I was the oddball in the family. That was never going to change. Just as I knew that being the embodiment of an emotion supposedly made you feel it more powerfully.
I found it hard to live up to my emotion.
"Pardon me." A quiet voice spoke from behind me. Turning, I saw that it was the girl who had told me where to find instructions for the bracelet.
"May I help you?" I asked.
She shook her head. "I don't think so, but I wanted to thank you for helping my friends." She walked to the sink beside me. As she washed her hands, her head tilted toward me. "Usually it is my job to help them. Its nice to finally meet the embodiment of Hope."
Eyes widening, I studied the girl. She was short, with straight, light brown hair and kind eyes. Meeting my stare, she offered a small smile.
"You aren't alone as a positive emotion. I'm Sympathy."

No comments:

Post a Comment