Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A dragon's prize



When you see a rampaging dragon, what do you do?
If you're a sane individual, you would probably get out of the way.
But if you are like my little brother, then you are probably trying to slay it.
And if you were me, then your brother dragged you along to help.
"Did you bring the net?" My brother Dale asked as we ducked behind an overturned wagon. Patting the strap to the large pack on my back, I nodded. "Yes, though I don't see how it could help."
Dale looked around the wagon at the young dragon and offered a grin. "It's not that big. This'll be a piece of cake." Leaning, I caught sight of the dragon just as it released a blast of fire. Trembling, I pulled back out of sight and lifted a hand to check that my hair was safely hidden by my headscarf.
"You're crazy."
"We can do this." Dale turned to face me and motioned for the pack with his spear. "We've got to hurry before any adventurers show up."
Releasing a sigh, I pulled off the pack and opened it. Dale pulled out a chain net and nodded. "All we've got to do is keep is stick to the plan."
I shook my head. "You mean where you threw the net over its wings and then stab it with a spear while I try to distract it?"
"That's the one!" Dale's smile grew as he looked out at the dragon again. Shoulders falling, I leaned forward to pull a metal platter and short rod out of my pack. "I was afraid of that."
So while my brother waited behind the wagon, I worked my way around to the other side of the dragon. Heat radiated off the burning buildings in waves, the flames eagerly consuming the wooden walls and thatch roofs. Wiping away sweat, I wondered again at my own stupidity. I knew how dangerous dragons were, even one the size of a horse. I'd been through a dragon attack before. It had been sheer luck that my brother and I had survived.
Yet here I was, trying to help him get revenge for that attack.
I was the crazy one.
Now in position, I banged my rod against the platter. "Hey! Over here, scaly!" I shouted as I continued to bang against the platter. The dragon turned its head toward me with a guttural growl. "Yeah! Come on!" I yelled, heart racing as the dragon stared at me.
Then the dragon turned back to the house it had been destroying.
"Hey! I'm talking to you!" I shouted, pounding harder as I took a step toward the dragon. It let out a burst of flame, then began to pick through the burning wreckage. "Pay attention, you oversized lizard!"
As the dragon continued its destruction, I lowered the platter and rod. It was ignoring me.
I was being ignored by a fire-breathing monster.
A nervous laugh escaped me. Then another. Shoulders shaking, I couldn't stop laughing.
Then a net hit the dragon's neck.
Whipping its head around, the dragon released a roar. As it stepped toward my brother, the laughter caught in my throat.
Dale lounged at the dragon. Like lightning, its head darted forward and the dragon bit the spear in half.
"Get out of there!" I shrieked as I ran forward. It was going to kill him.
Dale glared at the dragon, his arms shaking as he gripped the broken shaft. "I'm not afraid of you!" He shouted at the dragon. As the dragon released a growl, I got a stupid idea.
Dropping the platter, I ripped off my headscarf and threw the rod. It flew through the air and hit the dragon's tail.
Twisting around with a hiss, the dragon paused as it saw me. I stopped running and ran a hand through my long golden hair. "Come and get me, scaly!"
"Milla, no!" Dale shouted as the dragon streaked forward. It rammed into me. As I hit the ground, the dragon gripped me with its front claws. I felt the dragon tense, then it sprang into the air. Its claws dug into me as the dragon flew higher and higher, my brothers cries fading as the village was left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment