Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The ruins of Almak


“Why is it so easy to get lost in the woods?” Nephire grumbled as she followed her comrades through the brush.
“Come now, it's not that bad.” Jax commented from behind her. “This is only the fifth time today!” His laughter did not help Nephire's mood. They had been searching this forest for the ruins of Almak for a week now, and their supplies were running low.
But did their pigheaded leader listen to Nephire about this? No! Grafe didn't understand how temperamental magical objects could be. If the crystal cauldron refused to make its stew, Nephire would be blamed.
“Halt.” Grafe called from the head of the group, one hand raised as he surveyed the area. “Nephire, the rose.”
Shoulders hunched, Nephire moved forward. Reaching a hand into her satchel as she passed the Salt brothers, she glanced down at it.
“Almak's rose, if you would be so kind.”
Again? Haven't you used it enough? The satchel grumbled in Nephire mind. But the pickling stem of the rose appeared in her hand just as Nephire reached Grafe.
He was a tall, bulky man, with all the intelligence of a minotaur. The thick, shaggy brown hair covering his head was unkempt, while a rough beard lined his jaw. As Nephire lifted the hand holding the rose, she couldn't help but wonder why she agreed to join his band three months ago.
“If you could just try for him again.” She whispered to the rose, gently stroking one of its odd green petals.
That oaf?The last time I called for the garden, he bent my stem! The rose seemed to shiver in her hand. Nephire held back a sigh as she ran a finger down the rose's stem.
“I know, but this is very important. Don't you want to see your bush again?”
The rose was silent for a moment. Alright, give me to the oaf. But if he injures me again, I'll prick his hand!
Nephire held out the rose. “About time.” Grafe snatched the rose from her hand and turned away without another word. Gritting her teeth, Nephire crossed her arms. That was it. The next place the went to restock supplies, she was going to quit. Sure, breaking contract so early would mean that she would not only have to return the band's magical items, but also half of her all earnings while having been in Grafe's employ. She hadn't earned very much yet, so that wasn't much of a problem.
And as a magician, she would easily be able to find another job.
One with a better boss.
There was a soft rumble, and Grafe gave a bellow. “Get ready boys! We've found it!”
The trees ahead of Nephire seems to tremble as a dark green hedge seemed to spring from the ground. Roses covered the hedge, their green petals far lighter in color the hedge's leaves.
Grafe dropped rose and pulled out his ax. “Charge!”
As her leader and the three Salt brothers thundered through the entryway and into the garden of Almak, Nephire bent down and picked up the forgotten rose. Its stem had been crushed, the green petals drooping as though they were about to fall.
“I'm sorry.” Nephire whispered to the rose, the sound of her companions boisterous rampage ringing harshly in her ears.
“Grafe is incredibly foolish, isn't he?” Jax commented from behind. Nephire stood and turned to look at him.
“When isn't he?” Nephire asked slowly. Jax was the only other smart member Grafe's band, and Nephire had often wondered why he stayed. From what she had seen, Jax had the potential to lead his own band of adventurers.
Brushing a hand through his light hair, Jax motioned to the crushed rose. “Almak's ruins require an object to summon them onto a plane we can interact with. I wouldn't want to enter them without having the summoning device with me.” Pausing for a moment, his hazel eyes narrowed as he smiled. “May I see the rose?”
I couldn't hold back my frown as I glanced at the rose. I could see what he wanted to do. But did they deserve that?
Give me to the lad. The rose ordered, Its petals closing slightly as its thorns tickled my hand. Biting my lip, I looked away as I gave him the rose.
As the ground began to rumble again, I tried to ignore the nausea in my gut.
I was just the magician.

And now Jax was my leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment