Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The life of an idea


The life of an idea is hard.
There is so much competition, what with all of the cool ideas making a scene whenever a writer passes by. And the dragons! I'm certain that they can smell ink from a mile away.
As for me, I'm just a simple piece of paper. I'm not an ancient map leading to a marvelous forgotten treasure. I'm not even a letter that accidentally fell between the wall and the desk, the kind that gets discovered shortly after the information inside could have saved the character from trouble or heartache.
Nope, I'm that paper that gets shoved aside when the character is searching for the more important documents. Or the one that flies forgotten on the wind. I slip from story to story as a mostly unnoticed paper.
And that's okay.
While other ideas seek for a place in the spotlight, I and the other like me fill in the background of the setting. We help to shape it into a place where those grand ideas can act out their part as the writer dictates.
Yeah, it's a hard life to live on the sidelines.
But that's were some ideas fit best.

No comments:

Post a Comment