Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Walking



The experiment was supposed to be simple.
Walk into the spacial distortion, then come out the other side.
What could go wrong?
It's simple, they said. Just like walking through a tunnel.
You'll be in there for only a couple of minutes.
"It's been more then a couple of minutes!" I shouted at the multicolored horizon. Hands shaking, I forced myself to take a breath.
Keep it together. You've got to remember...
"My name is Horace. I am walking back to..." Frowning, I tried to remember where I was going. I had entered the distortion at the... the park. That was where I started. The doctor with long... black hair? Or was it brown? She had said that they had programmed my course into... something. Something important.
"What was it?" I patted the empty vest I was wearing. There had been something in it, something that kept me on the path.
But it was gone. The path was gone.
I needed to stay on the path.
Looking around, I could see nothing that resembled a path. Everything here was constantly changing. Nothing stayed.
Nothing but me.
"My name is Horace. I am walking. There is nothing to do but walk."
And think.
Think, think, think.
I'm not hungry.
I don't really remember what it felt like to be hungry.
Lemonade.
She has a glass of lemonade for me.
Eleanor.
"My name is Horace. I am walking to Eleanor. She is waiting for me."
Eleanor loves lemonade. Her nose wrinkles a little whenever she drinks it.
The lemonade must be warm by now.
It was hot in the park.
But it isn't hot here.
I stopped walking. There was nothing to walk toward. Turning in a circle, all I saw was the multicolored horizon in the distance.
Always in the distance.
Never close.
"Only a couple of more minutes." I told myself with a shake of my head. Turning my gaze to the reflective ground, I stared at the wide-eyed man looking back at me.
"My name is Horace. I am walking." Holding out my hand, I showed the wide-eyed man the ring I wore. "I am going to marry Eleanor."
All I needed to do was walk.
Walk until I found a way out.
One step.
Two.
Over and over, until I make it to her.
Just keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment