Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A handful of buttons


At the edge of the square, there was a small shop without a wreath on the door.
Reaching the shop, I had to duck my head in order to enter.
It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. But when they had, I found that the shop was nearly deserted. There was a couple near the back wall sorting through dried herbs, and a youth standing behind the counter absently tracing designs with his finger.
“May I help you?” Stiffening, I fought against the urge to flee as I looked down at a little girl. I hadn't noticed her standing there until she had spoken. She looked to be about eight, with fuchsia hair and lilac eyes that looked up at me without a trace of fear.
“I'm just here to browse.” I said, then hesitated as her eager expression faded. “But,” I said as she turned away, “if you have any suggestions as to where I should begin, I'm willing to listen.”
Twisting back around, the girl grinned. “Follow me!” The girl led me through the shop, eagerly describing shoes, belts, knives, and bolts of cloth. Nearly every object the girl showed was something I could create, and the more I saw, the more I wondered at the effort that must have gone into making these objects without the use of magic.
When at last the girl had shown me everything, she turned and offered a smile. “What would you like?”
Raking my mind, I glanced around at the closest shelf.
Cloth, pins, a small cushion stuffed with straw.
"Some of these." I answered, motioning to a basket of buttons.
The girl nodded as I plucked out a handful of buttons. "If you'll go over to the counter, my brother will accept your payment."
Within the span of a breath, the girl disappeared. Moving to the counter, I released the handful of buttons.
The youth behind the counter glanced at the buttons. "Seven copper bits."
Reaching into a pouch on my belt, I pulled out a silver coin. Setting the coin on the counter, I swept the buttons into my hand and offered the boy a smile. "Keep the change."
The boy's eyes widened for a moment. Then his hand swept over the coin and disappeared below the counter. "Safe travels."
Leaving the shop, I absently tossed the assortment of buttons into the air and snapped my fingers. The buttons hovered around me. Making a circle with one finger, I watched as the buttons began to spin.
Faster and faster they spun, until the square I stood in began to blur. Inhaling, I clapped my hands. The buttons froze as the world snapped back into focus.
But instead of a crowded square, a lush meadow filled my view.

No comments:

Post a Comment