Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The letter


Flickering light, sputtering wax.
With one last sputter, the candle went out.
"Not again."
Staring down into the darkness, the quill in my hand shook slightly as I considered continuing in the dark.
With a slow breath, I set down the quill. It wouldn't do for the letter to be ruined, especially not for so silly a reason as the lack of light.
I stood and kept one hand on the desk, and with slow steps worked my way to the shelf on the wall. Feeling on the left side, I found what felt like a candle. A few moments more of feeling yielded the tinderbox.
Returning to my seat, I positioned the new candle on the candlestick in the remains of the former candle. With the ease of experience, I managed to light the wick.
Rubbing my forehead, I scanned the last portion of the letter.

-unfortunately, we cannot accept your daughter's behavior, and so she will not be continuing in our program when it resumes after the holidays. In addition, we regret to inform you that the dragon she has dubbed "Blue Noise", has been confiscated and will not be returned: as per section 257.G of the Academy contra

Finishing the word contract, I added the minute details regarding the collection of Miss Elicia's belongings, then signed the letter. Removing the signet ring I wore, I heated a blue stick of wax in the candle flame. Once the wax was warm enough, I moved it to the right of my  signature and waited for a small pool of wax to accumulate. Setting aside the wax stick, I waited a moment before pressing my signet ring to the circle of wax.
After a few moments, I gently lifted the signet ring and put it back on. Two outstretched wings met to form a stylize V: my personal seal. Folding the paper, I sealed it with red wax and the seal of the academy: a dragon twisted around a whirlwind.
Setting the letter aside, I picked up the candle and left my desk. The Wintertop's would be displeased with their daughter's expulsion, but this time her reckless behavior had endangered not only herself and her dragon, but two other students and their dragons.
I wouldn't begin my new role as headmaster by ignoring potentially lethal disregard for the rules.
And unlike my predecessor, I wasn't going to become a puppet of the noble families.

No comments:

Post a Comment