Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Late to feed the fish


It was Tuesday, and I was late to feed the fish.
Racing down the street, I left the laughter of my friends behind. They thought I was being funny, racing home to feed the fish that live in the backyard pond. A few days ago, I would have been laughing with them.
But then I saw what happened when my uncle was a little late at feeding time.
Rounding the corner onto my street, nothing seemed amiss as I barreled past the three houses before mine. Cutting across the lawn to the back gate, I pulled it open and hurried along the side of the house.
The water of the pond was seething, and I caught sight of silver scales midst the foam. Reaching the large tank on the back porch, I scooped out a small bucketful of goldfish and cautiously approached the chaotic pond.
Once I was as close as I dared come with the fish in this mood, I took hold of the bucket with both hands. I threw the bucket forward in a well practiced toss. The water and goldfish flew in an arc into the center of the pond.
A flash of silver leapt out of the pond, revealing the hungry fish. Its long, narrow body was partially transformed: short legs scooped at the air as a face that had elongated to a muzzle that snapped open to catch goldfish with gleaming fangs. Twisting back against its own body, the golden maned head of the fish disappeared back into the pond that appeared too small to contain such a large creature.
Returning to the tank, I got another bucket of gold fish and tossed them into the pond as well.
After a third bucket, the pond settled back to its regular stillness: the fish finally satisfied with its meal.
I cautiously approached the pond, and looked down at the deceptively peaceful looking carp swimming slow circles around the pond.
If I hadn't seen its other form, I would have thought it was a boring fish that my uncle insisted on feeding multiple times a day.
But after it bit off some of his fingers when I forgot to feed it, I realized the true danger of the fish.
It was dangerous to forget about a fish that transforms into a dragon when hungry.
Especially when it lives in your backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment