Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pizza delivery, part II



"Do you take gold?"
I stared at the man with the longsword. A monster just tried to kill me, and he asks about accepting gold?
The man's smile faltered. "You do have the delivery for Callan, right?"
Glancing down at the delivery bag, I checked the order form. Callan, apartment 537 Westward Way.
"One supreme, three meat lovers, and two anchovy and artichoke pizzas. We don't usually accept gold as payment."
The man sighed, then turned and swiped at another brown monster like the one that had attacked me. "Then you'll need to talk to Brend. We're almost finished with the sabre-muskrat infestation."
The battle did seem to be dying down. Most of the... sabre-muskrats that hadn't died were fleeing, with a couple of the warriors in pursuit. The youngest warrior leaned against a precariously thin staff and swiped a hand across his brow. Unlike the others, his clothes were a bright blue, except for the leather vest that seemed to be his only armor.
"Brend will make sure you're paid, laddy. So how about we get those pies passed around before they get cold?" I turned back to Callan, my grip tightening on the delivery bag.
"What happened to the apartment?"
"Don't know about any apartment." Callan shrugged and jerked his head toward the youngest warrior. "Brend is the one who called the door. I just placed the order."
Brend turned and walked over to join us. "What are you doing here?" He stared at me, gray eyes darting from the delivery bag to me.
"I brought your order." I tapped the delivery bag. Whatever this was, I just wanted to deliver the pizzas and get home. If all they had was gold, then alright. I'd pay for the food myself as soon as I got back to the pizzeria.
"No, no, I expected the food. But you weren't supposed to come with it." Brend shook his head. "The spell was supposed to project an illusion for you to deliver the food to, then transport the food here."
Callan frowned. "Are you sure that's the spell you used?"
"Positive! None of my spells should be strong enough to transport any humanoid between realms." Brend shook his head again.
"Well, I'm here." Wherever here was. Brend looked at me, and lifted his staff. Mumbling gibberish, he tapped my head.
Lights filled my vision, and pain raced through my limbs. "What was that for?"
"Someone hijacked my spell." Brend's voiced stung my aching head. "But why bring a delivery boy here?"
"Maybe someone likes pizza pies." Callan replied, and I could almost make out him shrugging through my blurry vision.
"Send me back." I pulled off the delivery bag and looked at Brend.
He shifted, tossing his staff from one hand to the other. "I can't."
"What do you mean, you can't?"
"Brend's an apprentice wizard. He's supposed to be testing his abilities with my band." Callan patted Brend's shoulder. "The pizza order was his first transdimensional spell."
I thrust the delivery bag at Callan. "The pizza's been delivered, so send me home."
Brend rubbed his eyes. "I can't, mister..."
"Alex."
"Mister Alex. My spell was hijacked by someone else, and they decided to bring you here. Their magic is still lingering on you, so only they can send you back."
This couldn't be right. "If someone else brought me here, then where are they?"
Brend motioned to the delivery bag. "You held onto the bag throughout the transportation, right? Well, even though my spell was hijacked, its priority was still to deliver the pizzas to Callan. You were caught in the original spell, and so were delivered with it."
I shook my head, not quite understanding him. "But you're sure you can't send me home?"
"Quite sure."
Callan slapped a hand onto my shoulder. "Don't worry, laddy. My band is partly responsible for this, so we'll help you find whoever did this." The warrior turned to Brend and lifted an eyebrow. "Right?"
Brend nodded, so quickly my own head began aching. "Of course. We'll see you find them."
I looked at them, then at the delivery bag in Callan's hand. As soon as I got home, I had to find a safer job.

No comments:

Post a Comment