Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pizza delivery



Delivery bag slung over my shoulder, I headed out of the pizzeria. The address was surprisingly close, so close that I wondered why the customer hadn't just picked up their order.
Securing the delivery bag to my bike, I shook my head. It wasn't my job to question the customer.
Traffic was light, and all of the lights were in my favor. Turning the corner, the apartment buildings that matched the address were right there. Seriously, why did these people order a delivery?
Riding up to the first building, I got off my bike. Unstrapping the delivery bag, I slung it over my shoulder and checked the address.
"I want number 537." Walking away from my bike, I looked for building five.
It was the farthest building. Climbing the stairs to the third floor, I headed for seventh door. Apartment seven had a heavy looking wood door, and a knocker shaped like a gauntlet. I looked around at the other apartment doors. None of them had a fancy knocker, and didn't appear to be made of wood.
"Your job isn't to compare doors, Alex. Just deliver the pizzas." Turning back to the wooden door, I pounded the gauntlet knocker.
No answer.
"This better not be a prank." Frowning, I pounded the knocker again.
Nothing. The back of my neck prickled, and I spun around. The landing was empty. Turning back to the door, I shifted the bag's strap. I'd try again, then contact my supervisor.
The knocker sounded louder this time. Before I could take my hand away, the door jerked open. Losing my balance, I tumbled forward.
Instead of hitting the ground, I kept falling.
Down, down, through a multicolored tunnel. A single high pitched note pierced the rushing of air. Clinging to the delivery bag, my heart raced. This was impossible. I had to be hallucinating. Surely I'd bumped my head.
Long grass cushioned my landing as the multicolored tunnel shattered.
Roaring, shouts, and the thud of metal against flesh surrounded me. Pulling myself up, I groaned at seeing the delivery bag beneath me. The pizzas were crushed.
"Watch out, laddy!" I turned toward the voice, and froze. Brown claws racked the air inches from my face. A burly man rushed at the creature, thrusting his longsword into it.
The creature keened a wail, struggling for a moment before collapsing.
The man pulled out his blade, then turned to me and smiled. "Great, the food's arrived!"

No comments:

Post a Comment