Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pizza delivery, part X


Smoky the wraith is a mischievous pest.
In the three days since realizing that we could communicate, Smoky has experimented in what sensations he can use.
My right fingers suddenly itched, and Lorcan smacked my quarterstaff out of my hands and lightly jabbed me in the stomach with his quarterstaff.
"Pay attention." He said as I coughed. The former cook wasn't a gentle teacher, but he'd agreed to take Devlin's place in training me.
Static danced through my fingers, the itchiness fading.
"Sorry." I said, shooting a glare to where my delivery bag sat a short distance away. Lorcan shook his head and picked up my quarterstaff. Tossing it to me, the bout began.
About halfway through, a surge of pain filled my fingers.
"Ow!" I backed away,and Lorcan paused. The pain didn't subside, but shifted to my pinky as I moved over to my delivery bag. "What do you want?"
The pain increased, and all my right fingers trembled.
"What is it?" I looked up at Brend's voice, to see the wizard moving toward me.
"Smoky sent pain into my fingers, and hasn't stopped." Turning, I shook my hand.
The pain shifted to my thumb.
I frowned, and turned back toward the bag. The pain shifted back to my pinky.
"It almost seems like he's using the pain to point at something." I said, and an iciness joined the pain. "Yes."
Brend looked around. "Where is it pointing to?"
Holding out my hand, I turned until the pain filled my extended index finger. "There."
The pain intensified in a sudden burst as a roar thundered from the direction I was pointing.
"Dragon." Lorcan said, and iciness filled my fingers as Lorcan turned and headed to where the rest of Callan's band was resting.
"I thought we went through the forest to avoid dragons?" I said, picking up my delivery bag and slinging it over my shoulder. Brend nodded, though his attention was focused on the direction the roar had come from.
"We avoided the main migration, but it is possible that a dragon was thrown off course."
Great, maybe I could add dragon to the list of creatures that have tried to kill me.
"So what do we do?" I asked. Brend shook his head and lifted his staff.
"Go join the others. I'll cast a protection spell."
Nodding, I turned away from the wizard.
Upon reaching the others Callan met me. "So your wraith can sense dragons?"
An icy nip, though the pain remained. "I think so. What are dragons like?"
"Big, flying lizards that breathe fire and will eat any person they come across, should they be hungry. During their migration, the beasts are terribly grumpy. Hopefully our wizard will be able to shield us from the beast."
The pain in my fingers intensified, then vanished as a dark splotch appeared in the sky.
Brend reached us, his staff spluttering its blue-green magic. Smoke rose from the staff, rising into the air above us and remaining there. Soon, all I could see above us was smoke.
Brend uttered one of his nonsense words, and the smoke curved down around us. Flickering into a greenish haze, the smoke solidified into something that looked like glass.
Through the greenish glass, the dragon's approach was obvious.
How a glass shell would protect us, I didn't know.
Callan's band was quiet. As the dragon drew closer, its actual size surprised me. About the size of an elephant, the creature was covered with dark scales. It had four horns, the top two jutting straight out, while the lower two curled down and forward.
The dragon was fast, covering the distance far too quickly. The sound of its wings beating was terrifying as it circled above us.
The the beast dived, landing where Lorcan and I had been practicing.
Its head twisted at the end of a long neck, searching the area.
Then it turned, narrow eyes gazing straight at us.
The dragon roared, shooting flames toward Brend's protection spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment