Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Grip of Tragedy, part II


My head aches.
Blinking, I winced as the light made my head hurt even more.
Yeah, the headache is the worst.” The voice was unfamiliar, yet felt like one I'd heard before.
Squinting, I found a dark-haired stranger lounging on the grass a little away from me. And as he offered a grin, I remembered who he was.
The apprentice wizard. Who I'd agreed to go with so he could pass his final wizard's exam.
Putting me to sleep was unnecessary.” I said, sitting up a grimacing at the grass stain on my dress. Mother would have a fit when she saw it.
Then again, perhaps princesses in distress were allowed a mildly ruined gown.
The stranger stretched his arms above his head as he gave a chuckle. “Actually, it was necessary. The wizard panel might not give me full wizard status if they think I had the princess's full cooperation.”
Smoothing my hair with a hand, I looked at the stranger. “So I must act the role of a distressed damsel, torn away from her life of comfort on what should have been a day of celebration.” Furrowing my brows, I let my bottom lip tremble as I rapidly blinked tears to my eyes. “Oh, woe! Woe is me! It is a vile situation which I find myself in!” I said in an anguished cry, shrinking back a little as the stranger lowered his arms. “Oh, what an awful state, to be in the grip of such a foul fiend!”
The stranger's eyes were wide, and I congratulated myself. Since princesses were often put into dreadful situations, we prepared for the role as was fitting our station. Whining, pouts, even crying techniques were exchanged whenever princesses gathered together.
I thought it was ridiculous to practice how to appear weak and vulnerable, but had picked up a few tricks nonetheless.
That'll do.” The stranger said, his blue eyes crinkled with unspoken laughter. He got to his feet with surprising grace. Striding over to me, he gave a bow that seemed less respectful than the one he'd given outside the carriage and offered me his hat. “Now here, milady. One of such fragile disposition should not be beset by such harsh sunshine.”
I kept the lip tremble as I reached a hesitant hand to take his hat. It was actually quite considerate of him, though his skin was far fairer than mine. One could almost be envious of his complexion.
Though I would never stoop to something so ignoble.
Who are you?” I asked, dropping the facade for a moment as I put on the hat.
The stranger shrugged, which still seemed an awkward movement to do while bowing. “You can call me Merrick.”
Straightening the hat, I held out a hand. “Well, Merrick, you may assist me up.”
Merrick smiled and took my hand. He held onto it for a moment longer then was proper after I was standing, and once he did let it go, I found a golden ring on my index finger.
What is this?” I asked, studying the ring. It was pretty, but felt strangely warm.
That ring is what will keep you from simply running away.” Merrick said as he began walking away. I frowned at the rudeness, then let out a gasp as my hand with the ring began to feel hot. The farther he went from me, the hotter it felt.
I hurried to catch up, which wasn't something mother would approve of. A princess never hurried.
Merrick glanced at me as I fell in step beside him. “Not many princesses try running from wizard's, but a few of the brave ones do.”
Oh, if only I had the proper shoes.” I said, releasing a sorrowful sigh as I glanced at my dainty slippers. Mother insisted that a proper princess wore slippers. I thought a practical pair of boots would be better, especially when something like this adventure could happen.
Worry not, princess. For we will reach our destination by sunset.” Merrick said as we walked through the field. I wasn't quite sure how far he'd traveled while I was unconscious, but knew of no wizard towers in my own kingdom. But of course, we'd already passed the border into Clarke before the carriage had stopped.
So we walked. And walked. The scenery was pleasant, though my feet did begin to ache after a while. So like any proper princess, I demanded a rest.
Merrick complied, after letting me whine about what horrid conditions I was suffering under. For what kind of monster forced a princess to march though field after field?
The grass was more prickly here, but I settled on it gratefully. My feet did hurt, after all. Merrick wiped his brow and settled down beside me.
What prompts one to study wizardry?” I asked, watching as he pulled a piece of jerky from a belt pouch.
Wizardry isn't something you choose to study, not like horseback riding or falconry. If you're born with an affinity for magic, than you have to learn how to control it.” He said, taking a bite of the jerky. Swallowing, he continued. “If you don't, then the magic burns hotter and hotter within you, until it eventually flares up and consumes you and anything nearby.”
I shuddered, a real one. It seemed so tragic, to have no real choice about studying magic.
Merrick took another bite of jerky, and I frowned. “Shouldn't you have offered some of that to me?” I asked, putting a touch of royal command in my voice. Merrick grinned and took another bite.
Sorry, princess. But it wouldn't be fitting for a wicked wizard to give his prisoner a snack.”
Forget about acting the distressed damsel, I wasn't about to sit here and let him enjoy some food while I had none! So I opened my mouth to respond, but the sudden sound of hooves made me pause.
We both looked around, and my heart sank as I spotted a white charger.
Halt, fiend! Unhand that fair maiden!” The prince riding the charger shouted as he spotted us, and I heard Merrick groan.
It was just what a poor distressed princess longed for, a prince to save the day.
Too bad he hadn't found someone in actual distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment