Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Grip of Tragedy, part V


When Merrick finally began to stir, the sun was setting. The wizard blinked, and I took another bite of jerky.
Was it improper for a princess to steal food from her captor? Certainly the stealing was beneath one of my station, but I was hungry. And technically a prisoner.
In light of that, a small theft didn't matter so much.
Merrick moved slowly, rubbing his head as he sat up.
“Enjoy your nap?” I asked, allowing some of my irritation to taint my voice. The troll-rabbit headbutted my knee, and I shoved it away.
“No,” Merrick stretched, and frowned at the troll-rabbit. “That hasn't left yet?”
I gave him my royal look of annoyance as I shoved the brutish beast away. “It will not leave me alone. I demand you remove it from my presence immediately.”
Merrick got to his feet and looked down at the troll-rabbit, swaying slightly. “I don't think that's a good idea. Come on.” He turned and started walking.
I frowned, but got to my feet as quickly as a princess should in this kind of situation. I did not hurry after him, but simply decided that a brisk pace would be good for a twilit walk.
There was a thumping as the troll-rabbit hopped after us.
I allowed Merrick to walk in silence for a while, taking that time to study him. I disliked how pale he seemed, and though his gait was quick, he often swayed like a wind-beaten leaf.
“Thank you.” I said. Merrick glanced at me, a faint smile crossing his lips for just a moment.
“Isn't there some royal protocol about rewards for saving a princess's life?”
“Oh, there is.” I answered, glancing away from his blue eyes. There were many protocols about what happened when someone saved a royal life. Most of the time the reward for such an act was either a royal boon, or a royal marriage.
“Think your kingdom would hire a wizard?” His voice held a note of laughter to it, and I turned back to face him. Merrick smiled. “We could leave out how we met. After all, none of your guards saw me.”
He was impossible, this wizard. Convince a princess to pretend to be his prisoner to pass his final exam, and use an incident that the princess would never have been involved in if it wasn't for said farce in order to get a job.
“You are either dangerously clever, or simply lucky.” I said, and Merrick grinned.
“Why can't I be both?”
I decided to ignore him. It was for the best.
A half moon shone from a brilliant night sky by the time we arrived at a sparkling tower. It was of some glittery quartz, and with how tall it was, we should have seen it hours ago.
But when the door has to be opened with a magic spell, I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch that magic must hide it from view.
“Did you have to allow that thing in?” I asked, turning to glare at the troll-rabbit for a moment as we walked down a carpeted hall. At least its thumps were muffled by the plush red fabric.
Merrick took a deep breath, his hands clenching briefly as he stopped before a ruby door. His fingertips were still smoking a little, though it didn't seem like they bothered him.

“Alright, princess. We've arrived.” He placed a hand on my forearm, his touch surprisingly cold through the fabric of my sleeve. Griping my arm gently, he opened the door and pushed me into the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment