Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Braids


Ropes of sunlight, coils of fire, and the weaves of night were all placed in perfect rows upon the shelf. Not a single hair was to be out of place, unless you fancied becoming a dragon's lunch.
Luckily, princesses around here are known for their elegent floral arrangements.
Unluckily, I happen to be the only princess who failed to grasp that particular talent.
So instead of the braids on the shelf cascading in the colors of a sunset, they looked more like a jumbled pile of fisherman's nets.
I called my draconic captor Billy, because the horn on his chin looked as if it he'd stolen it from a goat. I'm pretty sure he wishes he'd snatched one of my sisters instead of me every time he sees what I've done to his collection, and I often wonder why he hasn't eaten me yet.
Of course, all I needed to do was look over at his nest to get my answer.
For among all the gems, gold, and treasures that Billy slept upon were braids of soft, earthy brown hair.
My hair.
For some strange reason, my hair seemed to be like catnip to dragons. And thanks to something in the smoke of dragonfire, my hair now grew by several feet each day.
That made it hard to do some things, like cook, clean, and escape from this cave. The cave was always smoky, even while Billy was out hunting. And while my hair grew quickly while within the smoky haze, it positively flooded from my head for a couple hours after getting awat from the smoke.
And having a flood of hair pour out of your head is exhausting. You lose the energy to even think about running away, and by the time you do feel like moving, the sheer weight of all that hair keeps you from getting very far.
And once your dragon catches you, it carries you right back into the cave, and glares hungrily while you braid all of your new hair.
Sometimes, Billy nudges me outside just so he can get some fresh hair for his nest.
After he sees the mess I've made of his hair collection, I'll probably end up spending the entire night braiding a new flood of hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment