Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Haunters of the House


I knew Larry and Ruth, the monsters from under my bed and in my closet. We actually got along pretty well, and whenever I lost something in my room they knew exactly where to find it.
Walter was the shadow that lurked down the hall. His tricks could be annoying, but I'd gained an excellent awareness of when something was behind me because of him.
Stephanie made the stairs creak at midnight, which helped remind me not to stay up any later.
Morgan was the doppelganger in my mirror, who actually gave the best advice on what to wear (granted, communicating was difficult, but we'd worked it out).
Derek was the troll who lived in the dryer. I was constantly negotiating with him for the release of my left socks.
I'd come to know and accept that all of these monsters lived in my house, and that they weren't going anywhere. I'd thought of moving, but had never seriously considered it until I met Steve.
Steve lives in the kitchen sink, and he hoards dirty dishes.
At first, he wouldn't let me wash any dish, so I started ordering takeout.
He didn't like that, and started stealing takeout containers from the trash (which made Marcus upset, and when Marcus is upset the whole house reeks of garbage).
Finally, I was able to strike a deal with Steve. He could pick one dish a week, and that dish could remain dirty for the entire week.
But after the week was done, that dish would be washed (or thrown out, depending on its state) and he could pick a dirty dish for the new week.
It worked out, and everyone was happy.
Though the single dirty dish did earn me odd looks from my friends whenever they came over.

No comments:

Post a Comment