Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A continuation of Toxin

Summer vacation is suppose to be fun, not tortuous.
Or so I had always believed.
Yet here I was, a future junior, spending my summer away from the people I knew and loved.
Instead of hanging with my friends, I was part of an "exchange program" that I hadn't even signed up for!
I stalked downstairs, dragging my suitcase behind me. Entering the kitchen, I dropped my bag and rummaged through the cupboards for my final meal.
As I made my food, Wallace came in through the back door.
Wallace was my best friend, and had been since... Well, since we were toddlers. He was of average height, and a bit skinny; though his abs were amazingly well toned. He had messy blonde hair and slate gray eyes, and I knew that over half of my friends had fallen in love with him.
But to me, Wallace was just a friend, albeit a very good one.
“This is it.” His voice was bored, yet I knew he liked my situation just as much as I did.
“Yep.” I finished cooking my food, and poured it into two bowls. I handed one to Wallace, then leaned against the counter.
“So where are they sending you?”
“A little village somewhere in England.” I sighed, then took a bite of my noodles. The salty flavor blended with the smooth spices well.
Wallace shook his head, his eyes closing for a moment.
“England? I'd be careful over there, they apparently love American girls.”
I frowned, then shook my head with a sigh.
“I won't have any problems, not going to this village. It's not even on the map. My biggest worry will be to not die of boredom.”
Wallace sighed, opening his eyes. He looked at me, sorrow plainly visible within the gray depths of his gaze.
“Couldn't someone else have been chosen for this "exchange program"? Why are they forcing you to go?”
I shrugged, finishing my breakfast and setting the bowl in the sink.
“I don't know. Apparently I was asked for by name. And the reason my parents won't let me back out is because of the funding. Round trip first class ticket: already paid for. Room and board while I'm over there: free. Funding for any educational activities I may want to do: provided in full. It all seems to good to be true, but the sponsor is a well known professor from London.”
I ran a hand through my dark brown hair, twisting one of the almost black strands around my finger.
My hair sometimes made me look deathly pale, but I think it was my eyes that really spooked people.
You see, I have yellow irises. Technically they are classified as amber, but the color is differently yellow. They're like the eyes of an animal, but I've been told that they run in the family on my mother's side.
Wallace set his now empty bowl on the counter by the sink and walked to the door. He opened it, then nodded his head towards the backyard.
I walked outside; leaving my suitcase by the door.
Together, we walked to the old tire-swing. I climbed up the tire, then pulled myself up the rope until I sat on the branch above.
All those years of climbing things had given me a knowledge of what I was capable of doing, as well as building a strong muscle memory of how to find hand holds and footholds.
Wallace climbed up and sat beside me, staring out at the early morning sky.
“How long?”
“I don't know. Possibly the whole summer. Half at the very least.”
A frown appeared on his face for a moment, before disappearing. I kept my own face expression less, knowing that there was no reason to spend these final moments wallowing in a pool of self-pity.
I plucked a leaf off the branch and let it fall; watching as it spun to the ground.
When I looked at Wallace again, I found him staring at me.
Wallace was one of the only people who could meet my eyes without flinching.
I met his eyes, waiting for him to speak. He continued to stare into my eyes for a few moments, then spoke.
“Shania, be careful over there. I don't like what I've heard about this exchange program, and I can tell you don't like it either. But since there is nothing I can do to stop it, I want you to have this.”
He pulled off a ring from his right middle finger and gave it to me.
I looked at the ring, surprised by the sudden gift.
The ring was carved out of a black stone; with a odd pattern of symbols etched into it's surface.
It was peculiar, but I loved it.
“Thank you, Wallace...”
He smiled at me, his head leaning toward mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment