Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Djinn and the Vartija, part IV

  Muritage

Her gaze darted between my closed hand and my face. There had been a slight recognition when I spoke one of the names my species were called.
So she's at least heard mundane tales of my kind.
I smirked once more, opening my hand. The scorpion was gone.
A Djinn.” Her voice was soft, while the pulse underneath my fingers was a rapid whirlwind. The beat of her heart called to me. I hadn't been this close to another since my exile began.
My senses were starved for the soothing companionship of touch.
I lifted my hand from her neck, forcing myself to lean away. I couldn't allow myself to lose sight of my purpose. Couldn't become lost to my senses.
I met her eyes, watched as thoughts danced behind them. The girl was intriguing, dangerous. The danger was in the fact that I...
I don't want to kill her.
Her heartbeat still rang, despite the fact that I was no longer in contact with her. I wanted to hear her heart beat, just lean against her and count its beats.
Become lost in it.
Lost in the connection.
I don't want to be alone.
I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. The girl closed her eyes, a shudder running through her. I gazed at her, suddenly wondering if she had placed those thoughts in my head.
What effect do Vartija have on Djinn? Is she affecting my judgment?
I should kill you now, get it over with...” I hadn't realized I had spoken out loud until I saw the girl's eyes snap open.

No comments:

Post a Comment