Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Djinn and the Vartija, part V

Emrri

I didn't have much time remaining.
Very little time at all.
And here I thought you were going to draw it out, make me suffer.” I laughed. I had to laugh, or else I would have cried. Muritage frowned, the first frown I'd seen on his face.
Better not to prolong the kill, lest the prey have a chance to escape.”
I sighed, shaking my head. “Nothing flawed in that logic. Though I'd prefer not to be considered prey. I do have a name, you know.” I looked at the Djinn, forcing an anguished smile to my face. “Emrri Kieryn.”
His eyes changed just a little, “Kieryn. Little dark one.” He came closer, and gently touched my face. “It fits.”
I studied his amber eyes, wondering what he meant by that comment. But then I focused on his hand.
So this is it.” I kept eye contact, my voice barely a whisper. His eyes revealed nothing, nor did his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment