Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Door in the Stone: part three

That night, I watched the darkness. From within the light of the fire, I bent a finger and watched as the darkness crept forward; tendrils reaching toward me. I allowed the shadows to coil around my hand, feeling the coolness of its touch.
Then I flicked the same finger, dismissing the darkness.
My thoughts turned again to the future. I had prepared to be an Oathkeeper, not a member of their select order. To be Errskyn was to embrace Newiderr. Only those with tremendous potential were considered. They were the masters of Newiderr and as such, were extremely prized by the tribes.
I looked over at where my teacher slept. I wanted to be worthy of the honor he was extending. Yet at the same time, I wanted to stay in the village.
"Have you ever noticed how the darkness leans toward you?" Faraz asked curiously from across the fire. I looked at him in confusion. He merely shrugged. "Whenever you get in a somber mood it gets more pronounced."
I looked at the fire. "That is likely due to my affinity to the old magic, since it uses the energy within darkness." Looking up, I met his gaze.
He held it for a moment, then tilted his head. "What is it like?"
I turned away, watching the shadows flickering. How could I explain Newiderr?
"The shadows are like... water. They feel different from the light. I direct the flow of shadows like a current in a river." I waved a hand. "When I form shadow runes, it is like I am molding clay. I do not need to see the shadows in order to feel them." Turning back to him, I met his gaze. “Some things like knowing the feel of darkness came instinctively, while others things have taken time and practice to learn.”
Faraz nodded. “My talent is similar. The use of it comes easier then breathing, yet the are portions that have taken effort to master.” Looking up at the sky, he tapped his fingers against the side of his knee. “You should probably get some sleep.”
With a nod I stood. “Good night, Faraz.”
“Sleep well, Nadira.”

No comments:

Post a Comment