Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fair Music outtake: Introduction

Magic is everywhere. As I lazily watched the river, I noticed one of the local water sprite resting on a flat rock in the shallows near where I sat. Made entirely of foam, the water sprite had the form of a noble boy in a fine tunic. As I watched, the water sprite dipped a foam hand into the river. As he lifted his hand, a large glob of water from the river rose upwards. Looking toward an old pine on the shore, the water sprite thrust out his hand. The water glob flew toward the tree and smashed against the gray bark.
I held back a laugh as the water sprite was pelted with pine cones from the tree. This particular water spite enjoyed teasing the dryad that lived within that pine. There was some kind of encounter between the two at least once a week.
With a yawn, I leaned back and pulled out my pipe. Carved from wood, the simple instrument only had a handful of tones that it could play. I had made this particular pipe a year ago, when my old one had broken. Bringing the pipe to my lips, I began to play. The tune began soft and slow, but rose in volume as it shifted into a fast ditty.
“Phyre!” My sister called. I had lost track of how long I had been playing. I finished the song I was in the middle of playing, then slowly lowered my pipe. Standing, I brushed dirt off of my pants. Slipping my pipe into the long cloth sheath on my belt, I headed downriver toward my sister.
She was waiting for me on the road that led home. There was a smudge of flour on her rough brown skirt. Both Alessandra and I had our father's hazel eyes. Alessandra had mother's straw-colored hair, while mine was a brown similar to drying mud.
“You called?” I asked, sweeping into a bow. Glancing up, I grinned as she crossed her arms. Although six years younger then me, my sister Alessandra could be quite a handful.
“Father has been looking for you.” Alessandra said as she turned and began walking toward home. Straightening, I headed after her. “I haven't been gone long.” I said as I rubbed her head. Alessandra pushed my hand away. “You've been gone for three hours.”
“Three hours?” I asked, eyes widening for a moment. Surely it hadn't been that long. Alessandra gave a nod. “Yes. What have you been doing?” She asked, looking up at me with a frown.
“Practicing, among other things.” I answered, gently tapping my pipe. “I'm not going to be stuck in the mill my entire life.”
Alessandra let out a breath and rolled her eyes. “We're not adventurers, brother. Besides, father needs you here.”
I shook my head. “To do what? Make just enough from our labor that we can keep the mill running? Any extra money we make goes toward your dowry or to repairs on the mill and house.” Lifting a hand, I motioned toward the river. “There is so much more to the world then what we have here!”
I was tired of being confined to this small piece of the kingdom. I had only traveled to three other places outside of our little town of Reed. Nari, Nex'us, and Zeltsrio were only a few days journey from Reed by wagon, and I had visited each on deliveries.
The capital was full of wonders, but I wanted something that was not easily found within a town.

I wanted to see all the different types of magic that existed in the world.

1 comment: