Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Magical objects

From my experience, most magical objects are pretty amazing. They not only have useful abilities that are easy to use, but they look magical. At least, that is what I've seen when adventurers pass through my town.
Looking around the market, I could see three different groups replenishing their supplies. It was easy to tell which group was the most experienced by finding their magician. Any respectable adventuring group had one, since nearly all magical objects were both empathic and intelligent; typically chosing who they wanted to work for. A magician was the only one who could convince a magical object to work for someone other then the one they had chosen.
So in any experienced group, the magician would have control of most of the magical items and have them prepped to accept a new user.
I smiled as I picked out the magician with the most experience. She was talking with another magician. The contrast between the two was significant. The younger magician had a good selection of magical objects with him, most of them visible and not very organized. While the woman magician had only three magical object visible: a gold stitched bag that could probably hold far more then its small size alluded, a ruby ring on her right hand that made it difficult to remain focused on the magician, and a staff of pale wood that felt magical to me.
"Opalus!" I jerked my gaze away from the magicians, but was sure it was too late.
"Yes?" I asked as I looked at my father. He handed me a basket of radishes. "Take this order to the mill. Quickly. I don't want to catch you dallying or watching magicians." Father said gruffly.
With a nod, I left our stall and headed in the direction of the mill. Aware that my father could be watching, I tried not to slow as I neared the two magicians.
"Must he complain about not having a crystal ball?"
"Well, our bard heard that a golden thimble can make any cloth repair itself, so that's all our magician talks about anymore."
The trilling of magical objects rang in my ears, and I felt tempted to see if I could identify which had spoken.
For it wasn't the magicians I was interested in.
But the magical objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment