Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Dragon's prize, part three


How do you escape an underground labyrinth when the only source of light is impossible to move?
Crouched close to the egg-shaped orb, I could  feel the heat that it released. I wasn't sure how the stone was fuelled, nor how long its warmth and light would last. Turning my face to the darkness, I looked toward the tunnel that the dragon had disappeared down.
Fingering my shortened lock of hair, I listened for the dragon to return. After a few minutes, I turned back to the light and took stock of my supplies.
My small knife, a spare headscarf, a purse containing a handful of coins, and my water pouch. Not much to work with, but they would have to do. Returning the knife to its sheath and the purse to my belt, I tied the headscarf in place. It probably wouldn't be there for long once the dragon got back, but having my hair hidden did ease my nerves a little.
“The dragon won't like that.”
Twisting, I searched for the speaker as my heart beat against my chest. “Who are you?” I asked, getting to my feet and scanning the darkness.
“Who are you?” The voice seemed to echo through the cavern. “Why were you attacking the dragon?”
Hand tightening around my knife, I stared out into the darkness. “How do you know I wasn’t just randomly plucked from the ground?”
There was a laugh from my right. Focusing, I was able to make out a figure standing just outside the reach of the fire. “Young women don't usually go around dressed like a boy.”
My cheeks grew hot at the thought of how I must look. Although a few years younger then me, my brother and I were of similar height, and the loose pants and shirt I wore were his. They had been one of his precautions on fighting the dragon, since my usual skit would have given my gender away to the beast.
“Well, at least I don't laugh at a dragon's prisoner and hide in the dark.” I replied, placing a hand on my hip.
The figure shifted, but remained out of the light. “I have my reasons, girl.”
I tracked the figure as it circled the fire, keeping my hand on my knife the entire time. “Are you another prisoner of the dragon?”
The figure paused. “In a way.”
“Do you know the way out?” I asked, though I already guessed what the answer would be. The figure released a chuckle.
“Yes, but it won't do any good. The only safe way out is to fly.”
“That's not safe at all.” I shifted, then winced as my injuries from the dragon protested. I had been ignoring them, as there wasn't anything I could do for cuts on my back.
“You're hurt.” The figure said slowly.
“Dragon's have a tight grip.” I replied with a shake of my head.
“Let me help.”
“I'm not going to turn my back to a complete stranger.” I stared at the figure, fairly certain now that it was a young man.
“You may call me Voix. I have no intention of harming you.”
“Then let me see your face.” I waited, watching as the figure shifted further away from the light. Then slowly, he inched forward. A pale, bare foot entered the circle of light, followed by a leg covered by black cloth with a strange raised pattern. His shirt was made of the same material, and had no additional features. Wild, dark hair obscured his narrow eyes.
Staring at the lean boy for a moment, I finally swallowed and turned toward the light. “Very well, Voix. I accept your aid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment