Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The eighth slice


The balance was gone.
It hadn't been noticeable, that carefully maintained balance. But the sudden shifting of power that had destroyed it was constricting, like a pair of shoes that were too small.
Glancing around the table, it was easy to see who had noticed the change and who had not. Those still ignorant to their impending doom were still laughing at a joke that I could no longer recall.
Meeting the gaze of the person across from me, a moment passed as we realized what had to be done. Exchanging a nod, we struck.
Reaching passed the rolls, I grabbed the pie knife and brought it down on the extra large slice of pecan pie.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the same thing happening to the apple pie.
Returning to my seat, I released a content breath.
Now that each pie had an eighth slice, balance had been restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment