Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Magicus Transporto


Sorting packages is dangerous work.
Why? Because there is no telling what people will try and send through a teleportation spell.
Most people think that when they use a teleportation spell it instantaneously moves an object from point A to point B. It doesn't. What they believe to be point B is actually point C.
The Magicus Transporto is where I work, and it is the customs department for teleportation spells. Everything that is teleported is brought out of the standard flow of time and examined here. If the object passes inspection, then we send it off to complete the spell.
But if something fails, it gets stored in the warehouse.
Shifting my hold on the transparent carrier, I winced as a small burst of flame flew out of the front and landed on crate containing love potions. Watching the crate as I walked passed, I released a breath as the fire died before it could light the crate.
"You're a very naughty crossbreed." I told the creature in the carrier. Multiple growls rose from the carrier as all seven heads of the baby hydra and dragon mix glared at me.
"It's not my fault that whoever was sending you chose the Kleurnio province as your destination. There is a ban on exotic creatures there, and you're doubly exotic."
The third head on the left shot a little flame in my direction, while two of the others began nipping at each other.
"We're almost to the creature section, then you'll be someone else's problem." I said as the flame hit the roof of the carrier. Out of the duties available, I found transporting seized objects to the appropriate section of the warehouse to be the most time consuming.
The warehouse was big, and it was constantly changing its layout. I suppose it had to, since most of the objects that were stored within it never left. It had to be able to grow as necessary, and part of that meant changing the layout.
Finally, I reached the gate to the creature encloser. Punching in the code, I waited as the gate creaked open with a groan. Passing through, I watched the gate close and the energy barrier flicker back into place. Moving forward, I ignored the howling hounds and turned left at the phoenix.
After a few minutes and another left turn at the unicorns, I reached the admittance desk.
"Josie, what did you bring me today?"
"A dragon and hydra crossbreed bound for Kleurnio," I replied, setting the carrier on the desk. "Feet off the desk, Tony."
Laughing, the youth removed his feet and pulled out a red folder. "You've got the paperwork filled out?"
I nodded, passing the stack of paper to him.
Tony flipped through the pages, the put them in the red folder. "Everything looks good. I'll see that Septimus gets properly placed."
I shook my head and chuckled. "Do you always have to name them?"
"Somebody should. It can get lonely being cooped up in here." Tony shrugged and gave his usual grin. "Besides, it gives me something to do."
Shaking my head again, I gave a wave. "You enjoy this position too much. I'll probably be back in a couple of hours with a tertius hound that was bound for New York."
"See you then." Tony lifted his hand in farewell, and I turned and headed back the way I had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment