Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Harrison


One day, a bird fell into my backyard.
With pretty yellow feathers that tinged to a light bronze at the edges and inquisitive brown eyes, I decided to call him Harrison.

When Harrison first arrived, his right side was burned, and those pretty feathers were covered with ash.

I called for my mom. I had thought that if anyone could help this bird, it would be her.
But when my mom came out to see what the matter was, she didn't seem to notice the bird laying in the grass. Sure, she has glasses, but even without them she should have been able to see a bird the same size as her son.

So it fell to me to care for Harrison.
He didn't trust me in the beginning, but had been too weak to protest.
I cleaned up his injuries, and brought him different things to eat.
He likes hot dogs and peanut butter.

As Harrison began to get better, I tried to find out what kind of bird he was. But the school library didn't have any books about him. And whenever I tried to ask someone about him, they could never see him.

Dad says I'm too old for an imaginary friend, but Harrison isn't imaginary. If he is, then who ate all those hot dogs and peanut butter?

He keeps getting bigger. Now Harrison is twice my size, and he's almost completely better. But he hasn't tried to fly away.

I wonder what he's waiting for. Looking out my window at night, I see him waiting on the grass. Sometimes, he's looking up at my window.

Yesterday, Harrison ate the neighbor's cat.
I scolded him, but he just looked at me and preened his feathers.
I don't know why he's still here, since you can't even tell he was ever injured anymore.
He's as big as my dad now, and I don't think he's done growing yet.

When Harrison flapped his wings today, the backyard fence broke.
He hasn't eaten any other animals, but mom and dad are starting to wonder where all the hot dogs and peanut butter are disappearing to.

I tried to tell Harrison to leave, but he just sat there, staring at me.
I hope I don't remind him of the cat.

Harrison takes up most of the backyard now. Dad is upset that he keeps having to fix the fence, and mom's put locks in the kitchen.
I haven't fed Harrison since yesterday.

When I went out to the backyard today, Harrison gave a crackling croak. I went to give him the peanut butter crackers I had saved from my lunch, and he grabbed me with his foot.
Then he flew away from my house.

When Harrison let me go, I landed in sand. Looking around, I saw a girl who looked about twelve walking toward me. She paused to look at Harrison as he landed behind me, then spoke.
“Welcome to the Roost.”
“Why did Harrison take me away from home?”
Because he's a roc, and has chosen you to be his person.”

No comments:

Post a Comment