Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Realm's Champion, part II


With the week's reprieve nearly done, Mervyn hadn't done anything to relieve my anxiety.
Sure, the little salamander was fast, but that seemed to be his only ability. No venom, no sharp teeth or claws.
Pulling out my battered scanner, I aimed it at the salamander as he scurried through the training course. The machine gave a few beeps, and Mervyn's information filled the screen.
Frowning, I smacked my hand against the scanner's side. “Dumb thing is still malfunctioning.”
Ruebin snatched the scanner from me. “Fire element? If that lizard has any fire at all, then I'm a pack mule.”
We're going to die.” I groaned, rubbing my forehead. Pressure against my foot caught my attention, and I looked down. Mervyn was looking up at me from on top of my foot. His mouth opened wide.
Alright,” I reached into the bag at my hip and pulled out a fish. I dropped it, and Mervyn caught it and scurried away. I turned back to Ruebin. “That's another thing. He eats more than you, yet hasn't grown at all. Where is it all going?”
The centaur shrugged. “Perhaps to those spots on his back. They've swollen a bit.”
Two bulges on a salamander's back weren't enough to explain the lack of growth. Even a spotted carp doubled in size during its first week.
What will I do when the challenge arrives? Quick feet aren't enough to win.” I glanced at my watch, and swallowed when I saw the time. “We've only got couple of minutes.” The first week always ended at the exact time that the new champion hatched at.
For Mervyn, that was 7:17PM.
He only has to win once.” Ruebin said, then his tail lashed as his torso twisted. “Get off me, lizard!”
Mervyn's head tilted, and I had to stifle a laugh. I didn't know how he kept managing to get on Ruebin's back, but that was Mervyn's favorite spot.
The salamander lowered his head into the centaur's dun coat, seemingly untroubled as the centaur tried to shake him off.
A ding echoed in my ear, and I stopped laughing. Touching my watch, I twisted the face to activate the transportation spell.
Back before my viewscreen, I pulled up my messages as my stomach settled into a knot.
There it was.
A challenge.
Opening the message, I held my breath.
It was from a young constructor, whose realm was only a little larger than mine. He wasn't wasting any time, and had set the challenge to take place in five minutes.
Sighing, I sent a confirmation, along with the coordinates to where the battle would take place.
At least as I always got to pick the battleground. Benefits of being the defender.
Tapping at the console, I collected Mervyn and relocated him to a grassy plain. Reaching for the knob, I twisted it.
Stumbling in the grass, I resisted the urge to throw up. When I felt something on my foot, I looked down at Mervyn.
Alright boy, we just have to hope that you can survive this. Not all challenges have to end with one of the champions dead.” They didn't have to, but so far all of mine had.
Mervyn tilted his head, then turned as a pop sounded from across the plain.
Not good.
The boy was my age, but it was his champion that held my attention. A lithe creature that looked like it had been plucked off a rose bush, its green limbs were covered in thorns. A mane of red petals encircled its head, which was shaped like a lion.
Where's your champion?” The boy called as the rosion gave a catlike stretch. Bending, I picked up Mervyn. The boy laughed. “It hasn't gotten any bigger!”
So he'd seen Mervyn's introduction photo when the information about my realm updated last week.
He's big enough.” I shot back, though my voice trembled. Mervyn stared at me with his dark eyes, and I swallowed. “You are big enough.” I told him softly. He was just the right size for that rosion to eat.
I set Mervyn down, and looked at the boy. “Make your challenge.”
The boy smirked, running a hand through sandy hair. “I, Francis of the Green Realm, challenge you with my champion, Dire.”
I took a step forward. “And I, Corina of the Vail Realm, accept your challenge with my champion, Mervyn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment