Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Realm's Champion, part III

One of the interesting things about champions is their natural instinct to protect their realm.
Even a week old spotted carp will try to fight when a challenge is issued.
Mervyn... was playing hide and seek.
The rosion let out another roar that sent thorns blasting into the tall grass. A breeze made the grass rustle, which hopefully helped hide Mervyn's position.
Until the rosion twisted, and I saw sandstone amongst the green.
Mervyn.
On the rosion's back.
“On top of you, Dire!” The boy shouted, and the rosion's head contorted as it strained to see my salamander.
If Mervyn had any offensive ability, now would be the time to use it.
But no, the little salamander lowered its head between two frightfully long thorns on the rosion's back.
Unable to reach Mervyn with its mouth, the rosion twisted and leaped, trying to shake the salamander off.
“Mervyn, do something!” I said, and thought I saw the little salamander glance at me. What was I expecting him to do, Suddenly sprout wings and become a dragon?
Apparently, Mervyn had other ideas.
The rosion gave a vicious jerk, and the salamander sailed through the air.
“Dire, now!” The boy called, and his rosion pounced.
Catching Mervyn as he fell, the two creatures landed in a particularly tall clump of grass.
“No.” Covering my face with my hands, I turned away. I'd liked the little salamander. And now with his failure, I'd probably lose the mainland. I didn't have enough credits to get another champion egg and a new mainland. And without the mainland's harvest potential, I couldn't keep this realm running.
I heard the rosion's triumphant rumble, that one I knew meant it was about to bite down.
That's how my second spotted carp died, so I hadn't forgotten the sound.
There was a boom, and a ferocious explosion of heat rammed into me.
Twisting around, I stared at where the rosion had been.
It was lying near the boy, the right half of its face charred, and devoid of red petals.
And within an ashy circle where the thick clump of grass had been sat Mervyn, his back engulfed by flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment