Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Realm's Champion, part V


My new volcano was hot.
Really, really hot.
Wiping sweat off my forehead, I looked over at the lava flow far to my right. Mervyn's head popped out of the lava, the molten rock slipping off the salamander like water.
Dreadful place.” Ruebin crossed his arms and pawed at the dark, rocky ground with a hoof. He had a pair of saddlebags bulging with volcanic rocks strapped to him, and he wasn't happy about it.
It seems to me that centaurs are rarely happy. Though having to act the role of a pack mule probably didn't inspire a cheery mood.
Mervyn likes it, and the rocks might fetch enough credits to start repairs to the barn.” I said, smiling as we headed down to the dock. If Ruebin didn't want to improve the barn, then he wouldn't haul the rocks.
You never know, maybe centaurs liked leaky roofs.
He got lucky, facing a grass element. If it had been a lynxoon or a cragar, he'd be dead.”
Reaching the dock, I started unloading the rocks into a chest inside the shed. At a hundred and fifty credits a stone, they were the best export I'd ever collected. And as a favored food of many fire element champions, I knew someone would buy them.
We have the respite before anyone can challenge us again.” I'd never thought about how I would spend the three days a champion received after surviving a challenge. Why would I, when my first champion had been a scrawny moon rabbit, and the three after that spotted carps?
But now that I had the champion's respite, I wanted to take advantage of the volcano.
After all, Mervyn's next challenger probably would be a water element like the lynxoon.
And if he lost, I would probably lose the volcano too.
Use that time well.” Ruebin's tail swished as he turned to looked at Mervyn swimming in the lava. “And train that lizard to do more than play.”
Finishing with the first saddlebag, I nodded. “I'll try, but I don't know anything about salamanders.”
Ruebin gave a horselike snort. “Then learn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment