Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The swan and the witch


Moonlight rippled upon the lake's surface.
If not for its light, I could have escaped.
"Owen, my darling, come to me!" A familiar voice called from the dock. I'd come to loathe that voice, and the power it held over me. Even now, I glided through the water toward it.
The women standing on the dock was beautiful. Dressed in fine silk that seemed to capture the moonlight, while the breeze played with her long red hair.
I stopped a foot from the end of the dock. Curving back my neck, I half raised my wings and let out a hiss.
"Still vexed over a little spell?" She gave a laugh, though her grey eyes grew cold. "I thought you would have finally recognized the folly in your obstinance."
I gave another hiss, wishing I could speak in this form. Then I'd tell Sidonia exactly what I thought of her spell.
"Oh well, you do make an exquisite swan." Bending, she beckoned with one finger. The pressure of her summons tugged at my heart, and I had to close the distance. As she ran her fingers through my feathers, Sidonia sighed. "This would be far more pleasant if you simply accepted my proposal."
I turned my head away. Marry her, and I'd no longer be imprisoned on this lake. No longer be trapped in the form of a swan.
Marry her, and my people would have a witch as their queen.
And I'd be reduced to nothing more than a puppet king.
No.
Turning back toward her, I released another hiss.
Sidonia's grip tightened, and pain flared as she ripped out a handful of my feathers.
"Foolish boy." There was nothing kind in her voice now. "You will come to accept me. I'll keep you here for however long it takes."
She straightened, and gently brushed the handful of my feathers against her cheek. "After all darling, you gave me your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment