Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Memory-Keeper


In this village, everyone forgets what happened in their life at the end of each day.
Everyone, that is, except for me.
I am the memory-keeper: tasked with remembering all that has happened to every member of the village, and sharing that knowledge as deemed necessary by the council of elders.
A council whose memories are also kept by me.
The people have learned to track what they should do each day by leaving themselves a note the night before. For the most part this system works, if it weren't for one little detail.
The notes the find each morning have been forged.
What they do each day is controlled by an outside force.
And they don't even know it.
The villagers just go about their days, happily blind as to how they've been manipulated.
The poor fools.
As for me? Well, I'm not a part of the group that is pulling the strings.
I'm just the unfortunate soul who is immune to their mind wipe.
For years, I tried to get the other villagers to remember, to do something to reclaim their lives.
For they know that they've forgotten things, but don't recall enough to care about what has been forgotten.
But after a while, I gave up.
What was the point?
They always forgot about the rebellion by the end of the day, whenever I did manage to get someone to act.
So now I remind the villagers that I remember everything that has happened, and the council decides that no one needs to know their past.
Over and over, every day.
The same conversations, the same decisions.
I wish I could forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment