Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Duel


"Once more!" The dragon growled, one taloned paw hovering above my head. With a sigh, I leaned against my sword and shook my head.
"The rules were best two out of three. We're already at ninety-two to fifteen, in my favor. Can I please just have the treasure and safe passage you promised?"
Letting out a puff of smoke the dragon gave another growl as he twisted his head to look at the scepter of Mis-so-muh, the fabled relic I'd been sent to retrieve.
No one had told me it was guarded by a dragon. Just as I'd conveniently forgotten to mention that I wasn't a knight from some far off kingdom seeking to do great deeds, but actually an apprentice stage magician.
And by apprentice, I meant that I took care of Mister Marvelous' tools and the equipment for our wagon.
So what made me think I could steal a costume that looked like a real knight's armor, a trick sword whose handle could make fake flowers sprout long the blade, and pass myself off as a hero in order to gain the reward for fonding the scepter?
Obviously, it was a girl.
My sister.
She's a famous adventurer. She gets all the cool stories to share at family dinners. She's always laughed at how I was content as a stage magician's apprentice.
But unlike my sister, who would have slain the dragon within five minutes of finding its cave, I panicked and instead challenged him to a duel of rock-paper-scissors.
And now the dragon is hooked on the game, and I will probably never get to leave.
"I will keep my oath, on one condition." The dragon turned back toward me, his outstretched paw moving to gently grasp the scepter.
"What condition?" I asked, hoping it would be something simple, and not threatening to my life. I'd leave the adventuring to my sister from now on.
"After you have delivered the scepter to those who desire it, you must return to compete in another of these bloodless duels." The dragon bared his teeth in a gesture I'd come to realize was a dragon's competitive grin.
I'd created a monster. And if I said no, the original monster would decide it was time to eat me.
"Sure," it was only because of my apprenticeship that my voice didn't shake, "we could go for best fifty-eight out of eighty-seven."

No comments:

Post a Comment