Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Terrarth: Tales of the Old Ones

Beginning
An icy glare, from a cold sun. Wind with a touch like death squeezed my heart. The frozen world cried as fire began to burn its core. Twin moons fought the sun for dominance of the sky.
Light and Shadow, Frost and Ember, Sky and Ground.
The entirety of the world fought and raged against itself.
There was nothing, simply a thousand possibilities.
Life was new, not quite aware of itself yet.
There were a few creatures awakening to what they were, as I had at the beginning.
My heart beat, my eyes saw, and thoughts swarmed my mind. I was alive, and one of the first.
An Old One, these new creatures would call me.
Shadow.
I turned my gaze from the sky, and looked down at the new world. My people were scrambling around, mingling with the Other Kind. I watched them build an empire, the first of many. We were building the world, preparing it for the creatures to come. Though it was a foolish thing, to prepare for another. Why should we toil, and allow another to claim the spoils?
The Other Kind thought it was best, that it was right.
But what is right? What is the meaning of wrong?
Nothing was perfected yet, everything was flawed.
We had yet to shape the laws of this world, what would be considered good.
It was our duty, not that of the Other Kind. Yes, they were our kin. But what would that mean, kin?
I looked away, my vision focusing on nothing. Then a sound came.
Footsteps, coming to join me in my brooding.
I ignored my companion, one the the Other Kind.
"What are you searching for, Shadow?" She asked, her voice curious.
"Nothing," Was my gruff answer, followed after a moment by, "everything."
She entered my vision, a small creature slight of build, with the sun in her hair and the moon in her eyes.
"Come now, that can't be all." She teased, a smile flashing like lightning onto her face. I turned away, not allowing her charm to enthrall me.
We may have been paired together, but that meant nothing.
As soon as our work was complete, I would leave her.
I did not want one of the Other Kind in my life. They were our opposites, the light to our shadow. Yet without the light, there would be no shadow...
“Leave me be, Light.” I spoke roughly, never allowing her to get close to me. That light may be tantalizing, but I could survive without it.
Her fingers touched my check, turning my head toward her. Her smile was still there, dancing in her eyes. “Never. We're a pair, and tonight we get to pick our true names.”
Then she slipped her hand into mine, and I allowed the light to lead me down into our world.
Into Terrarth.

No comments:

Post a Comment