Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Djinn and The Vartija: Breakfast

  Emrri
The toaster popped, and I carefully removed the once frozen waffles. My mother was still asleep, which gave me time to check on Muritage. Carrying a plate of blueberry waffles to the backyard, I walked toward the tree-house. In the dim light of dawn, I was able to see someone sitting atop the flat roof of the tree-house.
Have you changed your mind?” I asked him once I was closer enough to not risk my voice carrying back to the house.
I will not relinquish my hold until you release me.” Muritage answered as he continued to stare east. I shook my head.
Well, I had to try.
I lifted the plate. “I brought breakfast.”
Muritage turned his head, meeting my gaze with a scowl.
What gave you the impression that I would find human sustenance palatable?”
I frowned. It hadn't occurred to me that djinn might not eat the same as a human or myself.
Okay, then what does your kind eat?”
He turned away. “What sustains me is not your concern.”
I stared at him, then shook my head. “So long as you don't harm anyone in order to feed. What are you doing up there?” I took a bite from a waffle as he replied.
If given the option of confinement or the outside, which would you choose?”
I nodded, taking another bite. After finishing the waffle, I looked around at the neighbors' houses.
Could you come down? You're a bit too visible up there.”
Muritage stood. He was wearing umber slacks, a white long-sleeved dress shirt and a sepia waistcoat. He stepped off the roof, walking on air down to where I stood.
How do you do that?”
It is a simple manipulation of water molecules. A common ability among my kind.” He answered offhandedly. Meeting my gaze, he continued. “Such an ability could be compared to a vartija controlling their aura. Once one is aware of the mechanics, utilizing the ability takes scarcely a thought.”
As he walked around me, I turned to keep him in sight. “Well, I can't sense my aura.”
I took a step back as Muritage stepped toward me with a condescending smile.
That is why I will instruct you, little tamer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment