Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Djinn and The Vartija: Reconnaissance

Muritage

I rose from the couch, satisfied that enough time had passed. If the girl had been aware of the bond, she would have returned earlier. Striding across the carpet to the trapdoor, I crouched and lifted the latch. After climbing down, I knelt beside the tree. It was time to learn about the Vartija.
Transforming into a jackal, I inhaled. Her most recent scent led to a gate in the fence. I slunk across the lawn, toward the house. According to the bond, it appeared that the girl was in there.
After studying the exterior, I shook my head. Some discomfort would be required to enter unnoticed.
Exhaling, I released my hold on solidity. A burning pain engulfed my body as it lost form, rising into the air as a cloud of smoke. My senses were sharply diminished in this form; allowing only for sight and hearing. On the roof, I maneuvered through the air into the ventilation system. Allowing a small amount of my usual density to return, I worked against the current. After a few moments, I left the ventilation system. Releasing the density I had used to enter, I floated to the ceiling. Following the bond, I worked my way through the house.
I found the Vartija sitting on a couch with a boy. There was a square cardboard box on the small table before them, from which they removed slices of some human food.
"...ready for the quiz." The Vartija was telling the boy. He nodded, offering her a smile.
"I'm glad the study session helped."
I studied the boy. In this form, I was unable to correctly identify his species, but he appeared human.
Another human entered the room. The woman was middle-aged, with long hair a few shades darker then the Vartija. Her eyes were a light brown. Dressed in jeans and a cream blouse, she was taller then her daughter. This was the human mother.
"Finished studying?" She asked, looking at the closed books on the table. The boy nodded.
"Yes, just finishing up the pizza."
The Vartija looked at her mother. Her face was open, unguarded at the moment. It was surprising, to see a Vartija at ease.
If she had been trained, I would not be able to spy like this without her sensing my presence.
"How is your family?" The mother asked, looking at the boy.
He shrugged, speaking after having swallowed a bite of food. "They're okay. My uncle is coming for a visit later in the month."
I left the room, searching the house until I found the room belonging to the Vartija.
It was a small, neatly kept area. Solidifying enough to handle objects, I began searching the room.
The description she had given of the item was sparse, but I would find the the journal.
A journal of Vartija secrets, however damaged, might hold the key to my freedom.
It wasn't well hidden.
I lifted the book from the top shelf in the closet. Carefully flipping through it as fast as possible without further damaging it, I scanned the contents. After reaching the last page, I set the book down. Further solidifying my hand, I conjured a near exact replica of the book. Placing the replica where I had found the original, I left the closet. With the original in hand, I floated to the window. Unlocking the window and opening it, I left the house. After closing the window, I passed my gaseous hand through a chip in the glass near the locking mechanism and solidified my fingers. The window lock slid back into position, and I extracted my gaseous hand. Returning to a solid form, I smiled at the chip in the glass.
The reconnaissance had gone well, and now the source of the Vartija's knowledge was in my possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment