Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Pizza delivery, part IV


Apparently sabre-muskrats aren't only pests, but a staple food in these parts.
Fighting back nausea, I lifted another spoonful of the soup. The stringy meat floating in the brown liquid tasted like mud. But Callan's band was eating it, and the villagers were watching us.
So I stuck the spoon in my mouth and wished I had eaten some of the pizza this afternoon.
Brend had used a spell to gather all of the slain sabre-muskrats, and Callan's band had carried them to this village. Even I had carried some. The villagers eagerly accepted the creatures, and the band had been invited to stay for the celebration. I'd learned that bands like Callan's were called on whenever the sabre-muskrat population grew too large, and then the culled creatures were utilized by the locals.
Meat, hide, claws and teeth, all parts of the sabre-muskrat were used.
After having tasted what supposedly passed as soup in this world, I now knew why they loved pizza.
"So what do you think, laddy?" Callan plopped down beside me, spearing what could have been a roll with his knife. I'd almost broken a tooth trying to eat one of those.
"The locals are... interesting." I set my bowl on the table and smiled as some of the village girls quickly looked away from me, giggling.
"Ah, don't mind them. None of these people have ever seen a delivery boy, except on pizza boxes." Callan winked and bit a chuck out of his roll. It didn't surprise me he could chew something that was rock hard.
"How long will we stay here?" I asked. I wasn't eager to find out what a wraith was, but I didn't want the two months I'd already have to spend here to become any longer.
"Once we gather some supplies, we'll be off." Callan tapped the hilt of his knife, studying me. "Do you have a weapon?"
"Not unless a cell phone counts." Seeing his blank stare, I sighed and shook my head. "No, I don't."
"Then that'll be our first priority." Standing, Callan looked around and gave a warbling whistle. After a moment, Brend walked out of the dancing crowd.
"What is it?" The apprentice wizard asked. Callan jerked his head toward me.
"See that Alex gets a good weapon."
Brend nodded, and Callan walked away. I watched him go, then turned to the young wizard. "Where are we supposed to get a weapon when the entire village is celebrating?"
Smiling, he offered me a hand. "Just follow me, Mister Alex." Taking the offered hand, I stood. Brend lead me away from the village square to the outskirts, then stopped.
"Stand there." Brend pointed, and I moved to a the center of a clear patch of ground. The wizard drew a large circle around me with his staff, mumbling all the while.
I was starting to get tired of his mumbling.
The moment he completed the circle, it flashed a blue-green. The world outside the circle became hazy. Ghostly images of many different weapons appeared within the haze, and Brend turned to me. "What kind of weapon do you prefer?"
"I've never used one." Looking at the ghostly weapons, I wasn't even sure if I could use one. All of my experience with weapons came from watching movies. Brend tapped his fingers against his staff.
"Then look around, see if anything draws your attention."
Shrugging, I walked around the inner edge of the circle. In the haze, I saw swords of different sizes, bows, a spear, and other weapons I couldn't name. Though some were interesting, nothing stood out. Didn't most weapons take years of practice? Frowning, I paused after having made two laps around the circle.
I didn't know what type of weapon would best suit me, so I would just pick something. Taking a breath, I looked down at the blue-green line. I walked, watching that line curve until it flickered. Closing my eyes, I brought my hand up and pointed.
"That one."
"Are you sure?" Brend's voice sounded almost surprised, and I opened my eyes.
Out in the haze, a quarterstaff had solidified. Made of a pale yellow wood and capped with iron, it looked like an over-sized rolling pin.
"Yes." I could work with a rolling pin. Plus, it could double as a walking stick.
"Very well." Brend moved next to me, mumbling again as he lifted his staff. The quarterstaff floated into the circle, along with a short knife and a leather vest similar to the one he wore. Pulling a handful of coins from a pouch on his belt, the wizard tossed them into the haze. The circle flashed once, and then the world was normal again.
I caught the quarterstaff and other items as they dropped out of the air at me, and looked at Brend.
"What was that?"
"The wizard's haze. If another wizard has something you're looking for, it appears in the haze. If they accept your offer, then the objects will appear when the spell concludes. If they decline, what you offered is returned." Brend leaned against his staff and motioned at the knife and vest. "A knife is a useful tool to have, and Callan would want you to have at least some armor."
I placed the knife and vest in my delivery bag, then studied the quarterstaff. It was heavier then I'd expected, but felt good in my hands. Hopefully I wouldn't need to use it.
"Let's head back to the party." I said, and Brend nodded. As I followed him, the quarterstaff's quiet thump against the ground eased my nerves.
I would get home. I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment