Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pizza delivery, part V



On the third day after leaving the village, I couldn't stand by anymore.
Striding over to where Lorcan was getting out his cooking supplies, I caught the quiet man's attention.
"Would you mind if I made the meal tonight?" I asked. Lorcan frowned, and I almost took back my words. He was a large man, and far more dangerous then I'd ever be. But after having eaten stringy sabre-muskrat with different flavorings of dirt for every meal since arriving in this world, I wanted a change.
"Give the laddy a chance." Callan said, slapping a hand onto Lorcan's shoulder with a laugh. Lorcan's frown deepened, but he passed over the cooking supplies.
As the two men walked away, I looked at what food I had to work with. Two freshly killed sabre-muskrats, but also some flour and what looked like potatoes. Lorcan didn't have any seasonings that I could find, except for salt.
I wasn't as good at skinning sabre-muskrats as Callan's band, but had learned how to do it my first day in this world. Once the meat was cut into separate pieces, I cleaned my knife and cut the potatoes into thin slices. Grinding a few of the red chili flake packets that I found in the delivery bag, I added it to some flour, a little salt, and water to make a batter.
Moving to the campfire, I positioned the pan and dropped some fat from a sabre-muskrat in. Lorcan sat on the other side of the fire, watching. Once the fat had melted down, I put in the pieces of meat, which immediately began sizzling.
Though I was just a delivery boy, I enjoyed cooking. However, I usually didn't cook for anyone but myself. I wasn't a professional chef, and there were many others who could cook better then me.
At least, back home there were.
Here, the only tasty meal  had seen were the pizzas I delivered that first day.
"That is interesting," Brend said as I finished the meat and put in the potatoes, "why cut them so thin?"
"They're called chips." I said, then frowned at Callan as he leaned toward the finished meat. "Just wait a moment."
When the chips were crispy, I lightly seasoned them with salt. Catching Lorcan's gaze, I nodded. The quiet man stood and selected a piece of fried sabre-muskrat, then some chips. He ate slowly, face unreadable.
"Well, Lorcan?" Callan asked. None of others had taken any food yet, waiting to see what their cook would say.
Swallowing, Lorcan looked at Callan. "It's good."
Callan grinned, and the band descended on the food. I claimed a piece, and though it didn't have as much of a mud taste as the other meals I'd had here, I decided that sabre-muskrat would not be added to my list of favorite meats anytime soon.
When everyone had finished eating, Callan looked at Lorcan. "What do you think?"
Lorcan gave a slow nod.
"That settles it." Turning to me, Callan motioned at the cooking supplies. "Congratulations Alex, you're our new cook."

No comments:

Post a Comment