Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pizza delivery, part VI


The forest is creepy.
Not in the mildly unsettling way of a dark hallway after having watched a horror movie.
This forest is more like an unlit alley in the bad part of town, that ends in a huge block wall, and upon turning to backtrack you find a rabid wolf about to lunge.
The trail is barely visible, and the wailing that came from creatures just out of sight make it impossible to relax. With only a week of practice with my quarterstaff, I'm not liking my odds for surviving this place. Not when Callan's band have already fought off a pack of wolves, a serpent larger then me, and a cockatrice.
On the positive side, my cooking has been improved by enlisting Brend's knowledge of the local flora. Sabre-muskrat stew has never tasted less muddy.
"Hold," Callan's voice was soft as he raised a hand. The members of his band were tense, all straining to hear whatever had caught his attention.
Try as I might, I couldn't hear anything but the constant wailing. There was a rustle of movement from ahead, and a creature burst from the undergrowth.
A cute, yellow rabbit with a spiraling black horn rising from its forehead.
I released a sigh, lowering my quarterstaff. I knew rabbits, and they were harmless.
More rustling, and others of this odd species popped out from our right and behind.
Seven little yellow rabbits, strangely unafraid of us.
"Too many." Lorcan never took his eyes off the closest rabbit as he spoke. Callan grunted.
"Brend?"
"Al'mi'raj are immune to magic, that's what makes their horns so valuable." Gripping his staff with trembling hands, the wizard's face was ashen.
I frowned. "They're just rabbits."
Then the rabbits attacked.
Devlin, who had been teaching me how to use the quarterstaff, let out a scream as three of the rabbit struck him with their horns.
Chaos descended.
During the frenzy, one of the rabbits attacked me. It was fast, so so fast. I could barely get my quarterstaff positioned to block its horn before it changed its attack. Images of what happened to Devlin circled my mind, and all that mattered was keeping that horn away from me.
Block, stumble away, and block again.
The rabbit never let up, the fervor in its eyes growing with each strike.
An ear-piercing shriek filled the air, and the rabbit froze.
Then it turned, and fled into the thick foliage.
Far thicker then it should have been...
Jerking around, ominous trees loomed at every side.
Callan's band was gone.
Because I'd left the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment