Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Into the darkness


The candle was flickering, flame sputtering in a sea of wax.
Soon, it would drown.
Hurrying through the cavern, I hoped that little fire would last.
The exit was so close, I could feel it.
It had to be.
Ahead, something shuffled away from the dim light of my candle. Its unseen stare sent a shiver through me as I passed the pool of darkness in which it hid.
The monsters here didn't like light. It was how I'd made it this far. Torches, candles, even a lantern.
I'd gotten in, and even found that silly treasure King Tazal demanded.
Get the treasure, free my sister. Not an unreasonable plan, right?
But I'd miscalculated how long it would take to get back out.
My last candle was dying.
And at least seven monsters hounded me. Held back only by the light.
Turning a corner, a breath of warm air tickled my face.
The exit!
Surging forward, I could almost make out the crack in the wall that was the way out.
Something struck my foot, and I stumbled.
The wax splashed, and the little flame hissed as it vanished.
Darkness.
Drawing my knife, I dropped the candle and made a wild slash. So close! If only the King had let me keep my sword.
The monsters were quiet, with only that shuffling to reveal them.
I kept swinging my knife, backing toward the breath of air I'd felt.
All I needed to do was get to the crack. Well, and squeeze through it without getting mauled by whatever lives in the dark.
Not an encouraging thought.
My back hit something cold and rough. The wall!
Groping with my free hand, I let out a hiss as all it found was solid stone. Where was that crack?
Suddenly, something struck my knife hand. The blade clattered to the ground, and something cool and sharp pricked my throat.
"Thief." A voice rasped, startling me. Monsters couldn't talk!
"Light bringer." Another growled, and something shuffled closer. "Kill it."
"Wait," I croaked, and the thing pressed to the throat shifted.
"It speaks." A third voice grumbled, deeper than the others.
"Thieves don't speak." The first rasped.
"I didn't mean to steal from you." I said, shifting my hand down to my belt. The thing against my throat shifted warningly.
"Drove away guardians with harsh light, took heirloom, and fled. This not stealing?" The deep grumbler asked.
"Lies." The growler, even closer than before.
"I didn't know you were here." I hadn't. King Tazal didn't tell me anything except the I was to get the treasure from a labyrinth of caverns in the sea cliffs.
Releasing the pouch from my belt, I shakily held it out. "Here, have it back."
Something snatched the pouch.
"Is it safe?" A fourth, surprisingly gentle voice asked.
"Yes." The first rasped.
"Why you take?" The deep grumbler asked.
"My sister was taken. In exchange for your heirloom, I get her back."
The monsters shuffled, except for the one holding the thing against my throat. After a few minutes of silence, the gentle voice spoke.
"Hold out hands."
Shivering, I  reached out.
Something clamped around my wrists.
"Hey!" The thing against my throat vanished as something jerked me forward. "What are you doing?"
"Not killing yet." The second voice growled.
"Taking you."The deep grumbler said.
"No!" I strained against whatever pulled me forward, wrists aching. But my captor was stronger, and I was dragged deeper into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment